li. the ancestors are back

"HOPE

"HOPE." CULLEN CALLS for her daughter as she walks downstairs. "What's going on?"

"Mom?" Hope questions, keeping her eyes on the bone Hayley had found. It was sat on the dining room table, surrounded by a circle of salt. "Can you hear them, too?"

"What's going on?" Klaus exclaims, entering the room. His eyes moving from the table to Hope and Cullen.

"Look at me." Cullen instructs. "Tell me what you heard."

"Voices. They said that we're connected to this. You and me." Hope explains.

"If this fossil has been whispering lies, I'll gladly throw it in the river." Klaus snaps.

"No. Not the bone." Hope interrupts. "The witches. The Ancestors. They have a message for us. A warning."

"Tell me what they said." Cullen presses.

"They want you to go to St. Anne's Church to talk to them." Hope tells her mother. "They said you have to do exactly what they say, and you have to do it now. Before the Hollow comes for us."

-

"It's quiet." Cullen comments as they enter the old church.

"Of course it's quiet. It's a trap." Klaus quips.

"We don't know that." Cullen corrects.

"New Orleans witches have hated my family for three centuries. Of course it's a trap." Klaus states.

"The coven protects their own." Cullen tells him. "Hope's one of them now. She's part of their legacy."

"Hope is a far cry from a French Quarter fortune-teller." Klaus turns to face his wife. "And while we're on the subject, she's seven. If anyone wants to talk to her, they should ask my permission."

Cullen smirks. "You're gonna be a lot of fun when she starts dating."

"I'm gonna be a perfect gentleman. And should any of her suitors fail to meet my expectations, I'll compel them to the priesthood." Klaus smiles before their conversation is interrupted. "Oh, look, Harvest Girls. I assume you speak on behalf of your Ancestors."

"Provided that you've come in peace." One of the Harvest Girls speaks up. Another new piece of information. The night before Elijah and Vincent had performed the Harvest ritual, allowing the Ancestors a foothold back into the human world.

"Well, that depends on you, doesn't it?" Klaus arches an eyebrow.

"We don't want a fight. We're here to offer a deal." The Harvest girl continues.

"Although your brother did murder all four of us, so let's not pretend we're friends." Another witch chimes in.

Klaus shrugs. "Please consider all pretense of friendship dropped. Where are the Ancestors?"