lxix. family is our greatest strength

"JUST WHEN I thought he was showing the vaguest signs of maturity, our brother makes a unilateral decision that leaves the rest of us stewing in his melodrama

"JUST WHEN I thought he was showing the vaguest signs of maturity, our brother makes a unilateral decision that leaves the rest of us stewing in his melodrama." Kol scoffs.

"His death is not a melodrama." Cullen snaps, glaring at the man.

"This energy feeds on anger, and Niklaus... as we know... Has enough to set the world on fire." Elijah drawls, picking up Klaus' arm to examine the black veins.

"How many times are we going to play this game?" Kol questions. "Right, calamity and doom approaches our brother, and then, all of a sudden, a trapdoor appears and, poof, he escapes. He's a cockroach that will outlive us all. And we're immortal."

"And what if it's different this time?" Rebekah turns to her brother. "What if he figures out a way to end it all?"

"I don't think he would notice or care that I wasn't there to witness it." Kol shrugs. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going home."

"He'll be back." Elijah mutters after a moment of silence.

"Will he?" Rebekah responds before following after Kol.

When it's just Cullen and Elijah left Cullen shakes her head. "He can't die. He can't."

-

As the time ticked on all Cullen did was search through her grimoires, Freya's, and Davina's, even after they had told her to stop, to stop and to spend the time she had left with her daughter and Klaus, but she wouldn't accept that. She wouldn't accept his death.

"Cullen." A soft voice calls as Klaus enters her bedroom, the barrier spell placed around Cullen barely still working. When Cullen doesn't respond Klaus sighs. "Cullen, please, scream, yell, break something if you have to. Just don't look at me like that."

At his words Cullen jumps off her bed, ignoring the whispers growing louder as she get's closer to Klaus. "You don't want me to look at you like that? Maybe you should have thought about that before trying to kill yourself. You didn't even tell me you were planning on putting the Hollow into you, let alone that you were going to die along with it so screw you. I can look at you however I want. What you did was wrong."

"A husband and father protecting his wife and daughter? I'd say that's exactly right." Klaus argues.

"You didn't even talk to me about it." Cullen yells, tears coming to her eyes. "When are you going to understand that I love you. And I would do anything for you, but I won't do this. I won't sit around and watch you die because you and I have not even got to live yet. You have had 1,000 years and I have had plenty of time with Hope, but I have never gotten to be with you. I want you, Klaus. I'm tired of fighting bad guys, I'm tired of killing people, I'm tired of our daughter being in danger. I just want you."

"I love you." Klaus cuts her off, his voice raising in volume. "I love you, Cullen. More than you will ever know. More than I have ever loved anyone on this earth. But you need to know that because of that love, I am okay with dying. You've helped me feel something that I never thought was possible. Unconditional love."