xxix. one by friend, one by foe, one by family

"MY DEAR REBEKAH, I hope this finds you well

"MY DEAR REBEKAH, I hope this finds you well. I write to offer an update and ask for your advice. Our brothers remain at odds."

"Klaus will never apologize-- not for the blood he's shed and Elijah can never forgive him. And Cullen remains on her own, only coming to visit when she's dropping off Hope. Despite my efforts, we are a house divided. Which is not to say I have no good news."

"Niklaus kept his word-- Marcel controls the Quarter. There, he has founded a fight gym in the old St. Anne's Church where he tests the mettle of those who wish to join his vampire community. Elijah has begun joining him for sparring. I believe it helps him work through his anger... and he has much anger."

"While Hope continues to flourish, it is clear she can feel the strain between her mother and father. Though Niklaus remains the doting father, Hope still misses Cullen when she's not around."

"Besides focusing on her daughter Cullen has been spending more time with Hayley and Jackson and keeping tabs on the witches of New Orleans. Davina's rage at our family has only grown. And, as Regent of all covens, she's made it hard for Cullen to have a say in the community."

"Meanwhile, I catch Niklaus looking into the apartments across the street, the one Cullen bought. I watch him watch her and Hope from a distance, and I can't tell if he hates Cullen or misses her. I wonder if you would write me with any advice you have on how to heal their fractured bond. Until then, I remain your loving sister Freya."

-

"There she is." Freya smiles when she sees Cullen and Hope walk through the door. "Aunty Freya missed you." Cullen smiles back at the woman, handing Hope to Freya.

"Cullen." Elijah greets, walking down the stairs. Once he reaches her he leans forward, pulling her into a hug. "We have missed you."

"I've missed you guys." Cullen tells them, and it's the truth. She had missed them, Elijah and Freya.

"Freya, if you could." Elijah subtly gestures to Hope's room knowing that an interaction between Klaus and Cullen could be explosive nowadays. Freya nods, continuing to make Hope giggle even as they walk upstairs.

"What is it, Elijah?" Cullen questions.

"I received some unsettling information from Lucien Castle, an old friend. I don't trust the source, but I... trust you." Elijah explains. "I was hoping you could look into it. See if it's the truth."

Cullen nods. "Yeah, just get me the stuff I need." Elijah is gone and back in a flash, a bowl and a blade now in his hands.

"Niklaus." Elijah raises his voice, causing Cullen to sigh. She really wasn't planning on seeing Klaus today. Klaus comes out of his room, halting when he notices Cullen. Ignoring the urge to begin yelling at one another the three of them take a seat at the table in the courtyard.

"Here." Cullen hands Elijah the blade, allowing him to gently cut himself, bleeding into the bowl. He hands the blade back to Cullen and she moves a bit closer to Klaus. The hybrid waits with his hand out, expecting her to hand him the blade. Instead she roughly grabs ahold of his hand, slicing a large gash into his hand. He bites back a gasp, glaring at the woman who just smirks in response. Once both men have filled the bowl with their blood it's handed to Cullen.

"If you fed on this prophetic witch, their blood is still in your system. If there's a weapon that can kill you, we need to know." Cullen speaks up, lighting the candles around her. Reaching into the bowl, Cullen lets the blood soak into her hands as she begins the spell. "No mentre le prophecie que la otra ve. No mentre le prophecie que la otra ve."

As Cullen continues the spell the table begins shaking, but she doesn't notice. "Cullen?" She hears Elijah yell in the back of her mind. "Stop." She ignores him, not letting up on the spell as images flash through her mind. Letting out a gasp, Cullen quickly pushes away from the table, standing up from her seat.

"It's true." Cullen states, looking between Klaus and Elijah. "You have a terrible shadow over you. Rebekah, too. If this prophecy is fulfilled, you will all fall...One by friend, one by foe, and one... by family."

-

A full day had passed since Cullen cast the spell that told the originals they had a new villain to worry about. She was just on her way over to the compound to pick up Hope when a vampire sped past her, leaving an invitation in her hands. Looking it over she noticed it was an invitation for a party, and it was signed by someone named Tristan.

Following the voices echoing through the large house Cullen found Elijah, Freya, and Klaus in the study. "I simply want to know who is here at any given moment. I hardly think that's too much to ask." Cullen hears Klaus say before she enters the room.

"Well, as long as we're talking attendance..." Cullen drawls as she makes her presence known.

"Oh, good." Klaus smirks. "It's my former one-night-stand. What a nice, normal family gathering."

Cullen narrows her eyes at him. "Charming."

"I was just filling Freya in on the specifics." Klaus explains. "You know, how we're all on the chopping block."

"Well here's another specific." Cullen cuts in, holding up her invitation. "Anyone up for a party?"

-

"Come on, Rebekah. You've gotta have something..." Cullen mutters as she sorts through some of Rebekah's old dresses.

"May I?" A voice questions from behind her.

Cullen sighs, straightening up. "Leave me alone."

"No." Klaus responds, gently pushing Cullen to the side before looking through the dresses. "Wear this one." Cullen falters as Klaus hands her a navy blue velvet dress, she did have to admit it was beautiful.

"Thanks." Cullen mumbles, entering her old bathroom to put the dress on. Luckily, her and Rebekah were the same size. Slipping on the dress, Cullen walks out, standing in front of Klaus awkwardly as his gaze moves towards her.

"You look...beautiful." Klaus tells her. She blushes slightly at his compliment before reminding herself that she was still mad at him, even if his now grown out hair made her feel some type of way. Klaus walks towards her, grabbing ahold of her hair to form it into a bun. "You should wear your hair up." At his closeness Cullen forgets to breathe a bit while trying to keep her heart from exploding in her chest.

"Um." Cullen pulls away, letting her long hair fall around her. "I will." Walking over to the mirror she begins to pin her hair up, just like Klaus had done.

"I know you'll be with Elijah tonight." Klaus speaks up. "But be careful."

Cullen nods, placing the last bobby pin in her hair before turning to him. "I always am." Klaus nods, looking Cullen up and down one last time before walking out of her room. With him gone Cullen turns back to the mirror, glaring at herself. "You're supposed to be mad at him. Bad Cullen."