xxviii. say goodbye to the last of your children

AFTER DAHLIA CAME to St

AFTER DAHLIA CAME to St. James Infirmary Cullen started thinking. Maybe the best thing to do for Hope was disappear for a while. Cullen could leave during the night, place a cloaking spell on the two of them and then disappear for a year, or at least until Dahlia was defeated.

Even with this idea in mind Cullen was nervous to bring it up to Klaus. She didn't want to upset him, but this is what would be best for Hope. And Cullen told herself when her feelings for Klaus started to grow that she wouldn't let her feelings for him get in the way of doing what's best for Hope. Klaus would just have to understand that.

Picking up her phone Cullen pulled up Klaus' name, sending him a message that said he needed to get to St. James Infirmary as soon as possible. In under five minutes Klaus was standing at the entrance, a concerned look on his face. "What happened? Did Dahlia come back?"

"No." Cullen shakes her head, a tired look on her face. She was not ready to deal with the tantrum he was about to have.

Noticing the look on her face Klaus stops, glancing towards Hope to make sure she wasn't the cause of Cullen's need to see him. "What is it, love?"

Cullen takes a deep breath, preparing herself. "I think Hope and I should leave. Just for a while. I can cloak us and we can disappear for a bit."

"Absolutely not." Klaus states, not even allowing Cullen to finish. "You will not take my daughter away from me."

"I'm not, Klaus." Cullen snaps. "And she's not your daughter, she's our daughter. And right the safest thing for her is to not be in New Orleans."

"I am handling it." Klaus tells her, a hardened expression on his face.

"Obviously not." Cullen exclaims. "Because Dahlia is still alive and Hope is still in danger."

"This conversation is over." Klaus cuts her off.

"Excuse me." Cullen raises her voice slightly. "You are not my keeper. If I think that Hope isn't safe here I can and will take her."

"You're not going anywhere unless I tell you to." Klaus moves towards Cullen, the two of them staring each other down.

"Watch me." Cullen states.

-

It had just become dark out when Cullen had finished packing all of her and Hope's things. "Hi sweetie." Cullen coos, picking Hope up from her crib. "Mommy and you are gonna go on a trip together and then we'll be back home as soon as it's safe." Walking out to her car Cullen places Hope in the backseat before muttering a cloaking spell, effectively hiding the both of them from Dahlia.

Cullen felt her heart speed up a bit as she got into the car, driving away from St. James Infirmary. She had sent pretty vague messages to Elijah, Rebekah, and Hayley letting them know what her plan was, but she hadn't said anything to Klaus, though by now someone has probably informed him of her decision.