xlix. a hidden serpent

"I'M SORRY CAN you tell me why Marcel is locked in our basement?" Cullen questions, entering the courtyard

"You've missed a lot since your nap." Klaus speaks up, referring to the sleep Cullen had been in since the previous day. The magic the Hollow had taken from her nearly drained her. "Marcel tried to kill me so I captured him and am now making him pay. Normal Wednesday."

"Nice." Cullen mumbles, placing a kiss on Klaus' cheek. "Where's Hope?"

"She's with Hayley's relative. Jackson's grandmother, Mary." Klaus tells her.

Cullen nods, Mary hadn't spent a lot of time around Hope, but Cullen trusted the old wolf. When footsteps catch her attention she looks up, eyebrows furrowing. "Why is a man carrying balloons into our house?"

"We are throwing a party." Klaus smirks. "One that will be attended by New Orleans' most influential creatures."

"You do realize that everyone hates you?" Cullen questions.

"But they love Marcel." Klaus quips. "And as the invite states, he is the co-host. Tonight we celebrate our truce."

"So you're throwing a fake party, in honor of a fake truce, and your guest of honor is in a dungeon?" Cullen continues, eyeing her husband. What had she missed?

"Marcel's attendance would only complicate matters, besides I'll have my hands full weeding out those in league with the Hollow. Can't have an evil ancient witch trying to steal my evil witch." Klaus places a hand on Cullen's cheek.

Cullen scoffs playfully. "You are the worst."

Klaus smiles. "So I've heard."

-

"My dear friends, tonight we celebrate an alliance between our family and Marcel Gerard." Cullen listens to Elijah as she watches from a distance. "Unfortunately, as is his custom, Marcel is unfashionably late. So until such a time as he graces us with his presence, let us all raise a glass and salute the glorious city of New Orleans."

Before Elijah can raise his glass Klaus cuts in. "But before we do, my brother and I wish to acknowledge a painful truth. Our relationship with this city, and indeed with most of you, has been long and complicated. We hope you will be put at ease knowing that we intend but a brief and peaceful stay. Let this evening be a rest bit from past grievances and an opportunity to form new friendships. Cheers."

Hours later and the party is still going, unfortunately. Sighing Cullen makes her way to Klaus and Elijah as they stand on the balcony overlooking the courtyard. "You seem confident." Elijah turns to his brother.

"Well, Vincent is an expert, powerful witch, motivated to expose evil and protect his flock. Besides, he knows if this doesn't work, we'll be forced to kill everyone here." A look from Vincent has Klaus gesturing to a man. "Him. Bloke by the stairs. Cullen, you and Elijah tend to Vincent. I have another matter I have to deal with."