xxi. the special moments are vibrant

THEY HAD BEEN driving all night and to say Cullen couldn't wait any longer was an understatement

THEY HAD BEEN driving all night and to say Cullen couldn't wait any longer was an understatement. Klaus tried to get her to focus on something else so she didn't torture herself the entire way there, but Cullen couldn't help herself. Even when Klaus spoke to her about something Finn had mention, a curse on the first born in every Mikaelson generation. While it worried her, she would stress about it another day. All she could think about was her daughter.

As Klaus turned off the main road and onto a long dirt road he sped up, making Cullen's heart match knowing they must be close. Her breath catches in her throat when she sees two people standing in the distance, Rebekah and Elijah, and a third that makes her heart stop, Hope. Klaus has barely even stopped the car when Cullen unbuckles, jumping out. She runs the rest of the way to the house, stopping when she comes to stand in front of her daughter.

Elijah and Rebekah smile at her, moving closer to hand her the child. Gently, like she would break if Cullen wasn't careful, she takes Hope from Elijah. She's almost positive she does stop breathing as she holds Hope close to her chest, placing a kiss on her head as tears slip down her face. Smiling wide, she turns to Klaus. Not surprised when she sees a stoic look on his face. Slowly walking to him, eyes on one another, Cullen hands him their daughter, keeping a hand on her even in Klaus' grip.

In this moment Cullen is truly happy as she looks between Klaus and their daughter. The expression of awe on his face as he looks over their girl. This moment, she believes, she will remember forever. This moment is and will forever be vibrant.

-

After an hour or so Rebekah tells them Hope needs to be laid down for a nap, Cullen is hesitant to leave her after just getting to see her again, but she allows it. After, the four of them walk outside to talk and set up for some holiday tradition Rebekah wanted to do.

"What is this non-sense about a curse on the first-born? What the bloody hell is that supposed to mean?" Rebekah questions as her as they move to stand around a pile of logs.

"Well, according to Finn, our sister Freya didn't die of plague. She was taken as payment by our aunt Dahlia, who then cursed all Mikaelson first-borns for eternity." Klaus explains.

"Is any of it true?" Cullen speaks up, now wishing she would have listened to Klaus in the car.

"It is if we are to believe Finn, who learned it from the bastion of truth-- our mother." Elijah retorts, ruling up the sleeves of his dress shirt.

"No wonder Finn hates us." Rebekah quips. "He lost the sister he adored, and instead got a judgy pack of siblings who found him unbearably dull."

"Great." Cullen mutters, tossing a log onto the already large pile. "So, is there any chance of us running into your loony aunt Dahlia any time soon?"

"The fable's over a thousand years old. Dahlia is long dead." Elijah states.

"Like Esther?" Cullen exclaims.