xxxviii. say goodbye

AS FREYA ENTERS the study she gives Klaus a look as he riffles through a stack of old letters

AS FREYA ENTERS the study she gives Klaus a look as he riffles through a stack of old letters. "You collect trophies from all your victims?"

"Letters to their loved ones, to be specific." Elijah speaks up, taking a seat next to Cullen.

"It was a phase." Klaus replies absentmindedly.

"A phase in which we were forced to learn a different kind of stealth." Elijah explains. "You see, over time, Niklaus' enemies grew so numerous, we had no choice but to artfully withdraw from the world.  And then...Well, I wouldn't exactly describe our presence in this city as discrete. Wouldn't you agree, Niklaus?"

Klaus turns to his family, frustrated with the topic of choice. "We all saw the white oak destroyed. Plus, this city is crawling with vampires, all of whom had no choice but to shield me from potential foes. Were I to die, they would die, too. I couldn't have been more safe. And now my sire link is undone. Those very foes will come for me... Like never before."

Freya sighs, shaking her head. "It's only been a few days since the link was broken. Must you jump into crippling paranoia already?"

Elijah rolls his eyes. "It's a default setting."

"And for good reason." Klaus snaps.

Elijah stands from his seat, making his way to Klaus. "Well, Niklaus, if it offers you any solace whatsoever, you've ransacked Aya's belongings, torched Aurora's hunting ground, and obliterated every last splinter of the white oak."

"I would be mad to believe that." Klaus states before exiting the room leaving Cullen, Freya, and Elijah.

"Every last splinter?" Cullen speaks up. "You're sure?"

-

Hours later and Cullen is called back to the study. Apparently Klaus had gone out only to see an old enemy of his, thinking the worst, which he was probably right to do, he called a family meeting. "It was him. It was Gaspar Cortez." Klaus stresses.

Freya sighs, glancing between her brothers. "I assume this is someone from your box of letters?"

"The youngest son of a particularly vile family of warlords I dealt with in the 17th century." Klaus informs her.

"Didn't they burn that philistine pigsty into the ground?" Elijah questions, earning a scoff and a harsh look from his brother.

"Pigsty? Belaga was my favorite artist retreat. Someone had to pay for that, so I murdered Gaspar's brute of a father." Klaus shrugs like it was the most normal thing in the world.

"And?" Cullen speaks up, knowing Klaus better than that.

Klaus shrugs. "And one or two--"

Elijah sighs, closing his eyes in annoyance and frustration as he interjects. "Five."