xlvi. daddy dearest

IT'S DARK OUT by the time they reach Cullen's home

IT'S DARK OUT by the time they reach Cullen's home. Cullen's smiles lightly as she parks, seeing Hayley is waiting on the front porch. Elijah is the first out of the car as the two lovers walk towards each other, hugging when they're close enough. Letting them have their moment Cullen turns to Klaus, her smile growing as he steps out of the car, still busy looking over the house.

"Do you like it?" Cullen questions, glancing over her shoulder.

Klaus nods, taking ahold of Cullen's hand. "It's nice." He becomes quiet before tightening his grip on her hand, like he was trying to anchor himself. "Five years has never felt so long. Thank you for not abandoning me."

"Hey." Cullen whispers, pulling him closer. "We may have not had the most planned vows, but I meant what I said when I married you. Always and Forever."

Klaus smiles, placing a kiss on Cullen's lips. "I love you."

"I love you, too." Cullen whispers.

"Hey, lovebirds." Kol calls causing Klaus and Cullen to turn to face the rest of the family. "I don't know about the lot of you, but I could use a drink."

Cullen laughs, pointing towards the welcome mat placed in front of the front door. "The key is under the mat."

"You keep a key out in the open?" Kol questions, bending down to snatch up the key.

"The house is cloaked." Cullen tells him as her and Klaus make their way to the porch. "No one's getting in that I don't want in."

"I'm flattered." Kol drawls. Once they enter the house Cullen shows them where the blood bags are before going to check on Hope. When she peaks into the girl's room she smiles, seeing that the child is fast asleep.

"Is that her room?" A soft voice questions from behind her.

Cullen turns around, closing the door behind her as she makes her way towards Klaus. "Yeah. Do you want me to wake her for you?"

Klaus is quiet for a moment as he stares at the door. "No." He shakes his head. "Let's let her sleep."

Cullen nods, grabbing his hand, leading him to her bedroom. They stand in front of one another for a minute, finally being alone. They take in one another, not having seen each other for five years. "You're hairs still long." Cullen mumbles, running her hand through his hair. "I like it."

Klaus laughs, a small smirk on his face. "Well Marcel didn't exactly provide me with a barber. You're hair is different as well, darker, I like it too."

"Yes." Cullen nods. "After turning twenty-three and still looking the same as I did at nineteen I thought it was time for a change."

They continue to talk, eventually moving to lay down in Cullen's bed. They say up most the night, talking, kissing, staring. And when they finally fall asleep they're tucked close to one another. Finally home.