xxiii. family is power

"HELLO

"HELLO." CULLEN GREETS when she answers her phone. "How's Hope?"

"She's good." Hayley tells her. "I think she may be the cutest baby I've ever seen. You and Klaus did good."

Cullen laughs at her words. "Why thank you."

"Yeah, well Hope is just about the only thing bearable here." Hayley comments.

"Elijah?" Cullen questions. "Whats going on?"

"I told him." Hayley states. "I told him Jackson and I are getting married to unite the pack."

Cullen's eyes widen at Hayley's words. When the mention of a marriage had come up Cullen was the first person Hayley told, but they hadn't really talked much about whether or not she was going to go through with it. "What did he say?"

"He said he understood." Hayley replies. "Said it made sense. The wolves could help with the fight against Finn and they would be an added protection for Hope, but he's been distant ever since I told him."

"Do you have feelings for him?" Cullen continues to question Hayley.

"Uh-I don't know." Hayley exclaims. "I mean of course I feel something for him, but it's not as strong as it used to be. With him I never know where we stand, but with Jackson, with Jackson I always know."

"You just have to trust your gut, Hayley." Cullen tells her before a smile pulls on her face. "And you know what my gut tells me? My gut tells me that you should have the wedding at the compound."

"What?" Cullen can almost hear Hayley laugh on the other line. "The compound?"

"Yeah." Cullen nods. "Its better than the Bayou and are you really going to get married in the church where multiple people have died? Have it here and we can go all out, flowers and lace and everything. I'll help you plan it."

Hayley is quiet for a moment before she sighs. "Okay. But only if you're my maid of honor."

"Of course." Cullen smiles. "I would be honored."

When Cullen suddenly drops the bowl she's holding it shatters causing Hayley to question her. "What are you doing?"

"Right now I am working on a locator spell." Cullen explains. "After the barrier around the compound dropped last night Marcel and his vamps left, but now they're missing and Klaus thinks Finn has something to do with, so I am trying to track them down."

"And how is that going?" Hayley retorts.

"Not good." Cullen sighs. "Actually I should get going. I need to focus. Tell Hope I love her and that I will see her soon."

"Will do." Hayley responds before ending their call, leaving Cullen to clean up the broken bowl.

"Hello, Cullen." An unfamiliar voice calls causing Cullen to spin around.