xvi. the witch mother

"SO, WHICH RESTAURANT'S missing a compelled chef?" Cullen questions as Klaus walks downstairs

"SO, WHICH RESTAURANT'S missing a compelled chef?" Cullen questions as Klaus walks downstairs. After last night things between them were still tense, each one of them wallowing in their own silent pain. The array of breakfast food laid out in the courtyard seemed to be a nice distraction though.

"It's certainly a card I've played in the past, but I had no hand in this..." Klaus claims, coming to join Cullen at the table.

"Well, then, I guess we have Elijah to thank?" Cullen assumes.

"This wasn't my doing." A familiar voice calls, causing Cullen and Klaus to turn towards Elijah as he walks downstairs.

"Then, where did this all come from?" Cullen exclaims, gesturing to the table. Almost as if on cue a silver lid covering a platter on the table begins to rattle, catching all of their attention. Klaus is the first to make a move, slowly reaching for the lid, Cullen lets out a gasp as two crows flutter around before flying into the air. "What the hell was that?"

The crows weren't the only thing under the lid, a small card was sat in the middle of the platter. Klaus grabs ahold of it, glancing towards Elijah. "An invitation from our mother."

"Your mother?" Cullen questions, eyes wide. "She's back."

"It appears so." Elijah drawls. "Along with our father."

"Great." Cullen mutters.

"Yes." Klaus quips. "There is nothing as truly rewarding as a homicidal family reunion."

"You know it's times like these I am really glad I grew up without a mother." Cullen states.

"We have enough enemies here." Klaus ignores Cullen's comment. "And now, the war for our home is to be fought against my own family."

"Your wretched mother and her disciples tried to put a carving knife through our baby's heart. I will happily add to the body count." Cullen exclaims.

Klaus grins at Cullen, the woman matching his thoughts exactly. "You will do no such thing." Elijah interrupts. "Esther's a master in the art of possession. We know whose body she currently inhabits. We must decipher her intentions before she finds a new host."

"Well, her last invitation was  on all her children. I think we can assume her intentions are decidedly foul." Klaus states.

"Well, then. We have--" Elijah checks his watch. "-- this afternoon to prepare for the worst. Cullen I would like you to do an identification spell, so we can know when our mother eventually jumps into another body."

Cullen nods. "I can do it, but I may need help. I haven't exactly been practicing magic much lately and being a heretic doesn't help. I'm more powerful, but now it's harder to tap into my magic, make a connection with it."

"I will go to Marcel." Elijah announces. "See if he knows of any other witch." With that the trio splits off, each doing their part to prepare for the night to come.