36.

"What're you doing here?" Ron and Fred said at the same time.

"Sending a letter," said Harry and George in unison.

"What, at this time?" said Hermione, Fred, and I.

Fred grinned.

"Fine— we won't ask you what you're doing, if you don't ask us," he said.

Fred was holding a sealed envelope in his hands. I knew who it was to— even though Fred had purposely shifted his hand so that the name was covered. They were still trying to get their money from Bagman.

"Well, don't let us hold you up," Fred said, pointing at the door.

"Who're you blackmailing?" Ron said.

The grin vanished from Fred's face. George half-glanced at Fred.

"Don't be stupid, I was only joking," George said easily.

"Didn't sound like that," said Ron.

"I've told you before, Ron," Fred said abruptly, "keep your nose out if you like it the shape it is. Can't see why you would, but—"

"It's my business if you're blackmailing someone," said Ron. "George's right, you could end up in serious trouble for that."

"He's right, boys," I cut in. "Wouldn't want to end up on someone's bad side, either.

"Told you, I was joking," said George.

He pulled the letter out of Fred's hands and attached it to the leg of a barn owl.

"You're starting to sound a bit like our dear older brother, you, are Ron." George went on. "Carry on like this and you'll be made a prefect."

"No, I won't!" said Ron hotly.

George carried the barn owl to the window and it took off.

"Well, stop telling people what to do then. See you later." he said, and he and Fred left the Owlery.

I wanted to confront Fred and George about the letter. I knew that if it had been written without my help, it was definitely not a good thing to send to a Ministry employee.

"I just remembered, I have to mail something to my mother." I said hastily. "I left it in the dormitory. See you later."

I hurried down the steps and caught up with the twins in no time.

"Hey, you two!" I shouted.

The boys turned around and paused when they saw me running toward them.

"That was a letter to Bagman, wasn't it?" I said in a low voice when I approached them.

They both nodded.

"He still won't give us our money," Fred explained.

"Well did you blackmail him? I thought I told you specifically not do that!"

The twins started walking again and I had to jog to keep at their sides.

"We didn't blackmail him," Fred said. "We just...got more demanding."

"You idiots." I groaned. "This is serious, you know!"

"We know," they said in unison.

"Now, want to help us with something equally as serious?" Fred grinned.

***

Fred placed a Dungbomb in my hand.

"Why are we doing this?" I asked.