104.

I grabbed onto Fred's shoulders, burying my head in his chest.

He can't be gone...

I could hear the sounds of battle growing louder around me, but I didn't care. I didn't care about staying alive, I didn't care about fighting back. Fred was gone...

A heartbeat thumped by my ear.

My head shot up, and fumbling with my wand, I muttered, "Rennervate,"

Fred's eyes opened suddenly, and he took a deep breath as if it was his first.

And then I was jumping on him, shouting with joy, unable to stop the tears streaming down my cheeks.

"It's alright, El," Fred rubbed my back as I wrapped my arms around his neck. "It's gonna take a lot more than that to take me out."

George was next to embrace him. No words were spoken, but their eyes said everything.

"We should probably move this somewhere else," Ron shouted. "There's still a war going on here!"

The wall that had almost claimed Fred's life began to crack even more.

"Let's move! Before it comes down!" Harry yelled.

I went to run, but the pain returned to my leg, and I fell to the ground once more. Fred was by my side in an instant, scooping me up and sprinting down the stairs.

We neared the entrance hall, quickly losing sight of Harry, Ron, and Hermione. There were Death Eaters everywhere, and students ran in every direction. Fred quickly slipped us into a deserted classroom.

"Let me heal your leg," he urged.

"Fred, there's no tim—"

"It'll just take a second," he pulled me onto a desk and pointed his wand toward the gash on my shin.

I felt a searing pain shoot up to my thigh as the wound magically closed itself. I bit my lip in an effort to suppress my discomfort. Moments later, it was as if I had never been injured at all.

"Better?" Fred asked, helping me stand up.

I nodded, giving him a peck on the cheek.

"Ready to kick more Death Eater arse?" he smirked.

Just as I was about to reply, Voldemort's voice reverberated from the walls and floor.

"You have fought," said the high, cold voice, "valiantly. Lord Voldemort knows how to value bravery. Yet you have sustained heavy losses. If you continue to resist me, you will all die, one by one. I do not wish this to happen. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a loss and a waste. Lord Voldemort is merciful. I command my forces to retreat immediately.
"You have one hour. Dispose of your dead with dignity. Treat your injured."

Fred took my hand in his, squeezing it tightly.

"I speak now, Harry Potter, directly to you. You have permitted your friends to die for you rather than face me yourself. I shall wait for one hour in the Forbidden Forest. If, at the end of that hour, you have not come to me, have not given yourself up, then battle recommences. This time, I shall enter the fray myself, Harry Potter, and I shall find you, and I shall punish every last man, woman, and child who has tried to conceal you from me. One hour."

A shiver traveled down my spine at the thought of Harry giving himself up to Voldemort.

"He won't do it." Fred said. "Harry's smarter than that."

"I hope you're right," I sighed. "Let's go find everyone."

As we headed toward the Great Hall, my heart began beating faster. Was everyone alright? My parents, my friends, were they hurt?

The castle was unnaturally silent. There were no flashes of light now, no bangs or screams or shouts.

In the Great Hall, the survivors stood in groups. The injured were being treated upon the raised platform by Madam Pomfrey and a group of helpers. The dead lay in a row in the middle of the Hall, and I was hesitant to even glance in their direction.

"Ella!" my mother headed toward me, pulling me into her arms. "Thank Godric you're alright."

She had tears running down her face, and her eyes were red like she had been crying for hours.

"What is it?" I asked fearfully. "Is it Dad?"

She shook her head sadly, then grabbed my hand and guided me toward the row of the deceased.

Just a few meters away, Remus and Tonks, pale and still, laid on the stone floor as if they were sleeping. Sirius was on his knees, staring tearfully at his best friend.

No, no, no...

I couldn't hold my tears in any longer. Holding on to my mother, I wept.

I wept for Lupin and Tonks, and how their lives had been cut so short. I wept for Andromeda, who had already lost so much. I wept for Teddy, who would never know his parents. And I wept for my parents, because even though this wasn't the first friend they lost, I'm sure it still hurt just the same.

I cried for what felt like hours. My parents and I sat together, mourning as a family. Despite the tragic losses of our dear friends, I was thankful I still had my mum and dad with me. 

When I finally composed myself, I wandered over to where the Weasleys were sitting.

"Ella!" Mrs. Weasley smiled weakly. "Thank goodness you're okay."

Ginny gave me a tight squeeze, followed by Hermione and Ron.

"Have you seen Harry?" Ron asked.

I shook my head.

"You don't think he...?" I was afraid to finish my question.

"No, no way," Hermione shook her head. "He said he wouldn't."

But as we fell silent, I knew we all doubted Harry's reassurance.

Behind Hermione, I saw George and Fred talking with Lee Jordan.

"I'll be back," I said quickly.

As I walked over to the group of boys, Lee gave me a warm smile.

"Nice to see you, Ella." he nodded. "Didn't get too roughed up out there?"

"Not too bad," I replied. "You?"

"Still standing, aren't I?" he chuckled.

"Anyone else we know...?" I gestured to the bodies in the middle of the Hall.

"Lavender Brown," George replied. "We think Greyback got to her."

I grimaced at the thought.

"I saw Neville and Oliver carrying Colin Creevey," Lee said. "I guess he snuck back here when he was supposed to be evacuating."

As if we hadn't dealt with enough already, the horrible voice of Lord Voldemort echoed throughout the Hall:

"Harry Potter is dead!"