41.

Author's Note:
I have made edits to the previous chapter, starting at "Grimmauld Place began to get quite boring."
These edits were made to help readers who may not have read the books, and just to help smooth out the timeline. If you don't go back to read these edits, things will still make sense, but it may seem like I skipped over a lot.
Enjoy reading!

***

I sat upstairs with Ron and Hermione, anxiously waiting for Harry's arrival.

In the past four days, Harry had performed magic outside school, been expelled, and was now being rescued from the Dursleys' by the Order of the Phoenix.

After what felt like hours of waiting, the bedroom doorknob started to turn.

Harry pushed open the door, and Hermione didn't hesitate to throw herself onto him in a hug that nearly knocked him flat.

"HARRY! Ron, he's here, Harry's here! We didn't hear you arrive! Oh, how are you? Are you all right? Have you been furious with us? I bet you have, I know our letters were useless—"

Hermione began to ramble on and on, and Ron and I exchanged amused glances.

"Let him breathe, Hermione," said Ron, grinning, closing the door behind Harry.

"Sorry about our letters," I said nervously, suddenly feeling guilty for the lack of communication I had kept with Harry. "We wanted to give you answers, but Dumbledore made us—"

"— swear not to tell me," said Harry. "Yeah, I know."

There was a strained silence, and I knew Harry was upset. But I would be too if the same had happened to me.

"I think he thought you were safest with the Muggles—" Ron began.

"Yeah?" said Harry, raising his eyebrows. "Have any of you been attacked by dementors this summer?"

"Well, no— but that's why he's had people from the Order of the Phoenix tailing you all the time—"

"Didn't work that well, though, did it?" said Harry, his tone growing more impatient. "Had to look after myself after all, didn't I?"

I shifted uncomfortably where I was standing. Surely Harry had to understand that we were sworn to secrecy?

"Not even my own godmother sent me a letter!" Harry glowered at me as he spoke.

"Harry, come on, she's been busy with Order stuff, and work—" I replied defensively.

"So how come I have to stay at the Dursleys' while you three get to join in everything that's going on here?" said Harry, his voice growing louder with every word. "How come you three are allowed to know everything going on—?"

"We're not!" Ron interrupted. "Mum won't let us near the meetings, she says we're too young—"

"SO YOU HAVEN'T BEEN IN THE MEETINGS, BIG DEAL! YOU'VE STILL BEEN HERE, HAVEN'T YOU? YOU'VE STILL BEEN TOGETHER!" Harry was shouting now.

Ron was standing there with his mouth half-open, clearly at a loss for anything to say. Hermione looked on the verge of tears.