84.

Thanks to the help of Felix Felicis, Harry successfully retrieved the memory from Slughorn. He filled in Ron, Hermione, and I during Charms the next morning.

"Dumbledore says Voldemort's probably made six of these Horcruxes. Two have been destroyed, so that leaves four more." Harry said.

"Wow," said Ron, "Wow. You're actually going to go with Dumbledore. . and try and destroy . . . wow."

"Ron, you're making it snow," said Hermione impatiently.

"Oh yeah," said Ron, looking down at his shoulders in vague surprise. "Sorry . . . looks like we've all got horrible dandruff now. . . ."

He put his wand down and brushed some of the fake snow off Hermione's shoulder. Across the room, Lavender Brown burst into tears.

"We split up," he told us out of the corner of his mouth. "Last night."

"It's about time!" I sighed. "Honestly, Ron, I can't believe you stayed with her for so long!"

Harry chuckled and Hermione smiled lightly. Ron just shook his head in shame.

"I'm just saying what we were all thinking," I shrugged.

***

In the common room that evening, I worked on more homework. Ginny joined us, per my request, so she could tell me about her breakup with Dean.

"He just made me feel like I couldn't do anything for myself!" she sighed frustratedly. "Even when we walked through the portrait hole, he wanted to help me in!"

I just nodded, hastily scrawling on parchment.

"You'll find someone better, Gin," I assured her. "Someone who understands you."

The portrait hole swung open and Ron entered, looking slightly horrified.

"What is it, Ron?" Hermione asked.

"Harry was...well...covered in blood..." he said, a puzzled expression across his face.

"Why is it he's always covered in blood?" Ginny sighed.

An hour later, our questions were finally answered. Harry explained how his altercation with Malfoy had led him to use a spell from his Potions book containing Dark Magic, and how he was now subject to detention every Saturday as a result.

"I won't say 'I told you so,'" said Hermione.

"Leave it, Hermione," said Ron angrily.

I told you there was something wrong with that Prince person," Hermione said. "And I was right, wasn't I?"

"No, I don't think you were," said Harry stubbornly.

Harry," said Hermione, "how can you still stick up for that book when that spell —"

"Will you stop harping on about the book!" snapped Harry. "The Prince only copied it out! It's not like he was advising anyone to use it! For all we know, he was making a note of something that had been used against him!"

"Are you telling me," said Hermione, "that you're going to go back — ?"

"And get the book? Yeah, I am," said Harry forcefully. "Listen, without the Prince I'd never have won the Felix Felicis. I'd never have known how to save Ron from poisoning, I'd never have —"