30.

November turned into December, and everyone seemed to be growing restless.

Students were anticipating the winter holiday, and teachers were losing their patience. Transfiguration with McGonagall was no exception.

"Potter! Weasley! Will you pay attention?" Professor McGonagall's irritated voice cracked like a whip through the classroom.

I turned around to see that Harry and Ron were in the middle of a sword fighting match with a pair of fake wands.

Professor McGonagall scowled in their direction and the boys slowly lowered the wands.

"Now that Potter and Weasley have been kind enough to act their age, I have something to say to you all. The Yule Ball is approaching— a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests." she said.

"How exciting is that?" I whispered to Hermione. "I've never been to a ball before!"

"Dress robes will be worn," Professor McGonagall continued, "and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall."

***

By the last week of term, the Yule Ball was the only subject of conversation. In Charms on Wednesday, Professor Flitwick just let us play games the whole period.

"Ella, can I tell you something?" Hermione whispered as we watched Ron win yet another game of Wizard's Chess.

"Of course,"

"Well, I've been asked to the ball," she said quietly.

"Really?!" I exclaimed.

"Shush!" she shot me a look and I quieted down.

"Okay, so who?"

"Don't laugh."

"Spit it out Hermione!" I whisper-shouted.

"Viktor Krum asked me."

My eyes widened but I stayed silent.

"And I said yes."

***

That night in the common room, Ron was complaining about Snape.

"Evil, he is," he said bitterly. "Springing a test on us on the last day. Ruining the last bit of term with a whole load of studying."

"Mmm...you're not exactly straining yourself, though, are you?" said Hermione, looking at him over the top of her Potions notes.

Ron didn't respond, but instead continued to build a castle out of his Exploding Snap cards.

"It's Christmas, Hermione," said Harry lazily.

"We'll do it later," I added, playing with my locket.

"I'd have thought you two would be doing something constructive, even if you don't want to learn your antidotes!" she said.

I tuned her out and opened up the locket once more. It was still the same picture. My mother and Remus, then me in Remus's arms. James and Lily with baby Harry, and Miranda being held by Sirius. His face was still covered.

I was interrupted by a loud BANG!

Ron's Exploding Snap castle had exploded.