20.

I sat near the edge of the Great Lake, stuck in my thoughts. So much had happened the previous night, and I still hadn't processed it all.

I still had many questions, and I needed answers. Without Sirius, there was only one more person to go to.

I hurried back up to the castle and found my way to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom.

No one was inside, so I climbed the stairs to Lupin's office.

As I walked in, I noticed that everything seemed...gone. Lupin's office was practically bare, and he looked as if he were packing.

"Professor Lupin?" I asked. "Why are you packing?"

"Ah, Professor Snape let it slip this morning that I'm a werewolf," he said. "I figured it was best to resign immediately."

"You can't!" I frowned. "You're the best professor we've had!"

"This time tomorrow, the owls will start arriving from parents...They will not want a werewolf teaching their children."

I knew Lupin was right, but I still didn't want him to go.

"Well— er— Mr. Lupin—" I started.

"Please, Remus," he corrected.

"Remus, if you're not my teacher anymore, could you answer some of the questions I still have?" I asked hesitantly.

"Let's hear them."

"Well, is my mother really Harry's godmother?"

"Yes, Ella, she is. Lily and James decided on her even before Harry was born. She was very close with them." Lupin said, smiling.

"Well then how come we didn't take Harry in? Then he wouldn't have had to live with his awful aunt and uncle." I said.

"Times were different, Ella," Lupin told me. "Perhaps your mother will explain everything one day, but I believe it is not my place to do so."

"One last question, then?"

"Of course," Lupin said.

"This locket—" I pulled the necklace I had gotten from under my collar, and held it out for Lupin to see. "— I got it for Christmas. It had no name on it besides mine, but there was a bar of chocolate in the package with it. Did you send it?" I asked.

"Yes, Ella, I found that in my possession and figured you would want it."

"But why did you have it? Did it belong to my mother?"

Lupin nodded, then hesitated before speaking again.

"It belonged to your mother, many years ago." he said. "She left it with me, and I never returned it. I knew she wouldn't want it back, so therefore I passed it on to you."

I wanted to interrogate further, but something told me to just leave it alone for now.

So, reluctantly, I said goodbye to Remus.

"I hope to see you soon, Ella." he told me as I left.

I hoped so too.