39.

We stood in the middle of street, facing a row of houses. They looked run down and unwelcoming. Some of them had broken windows, some had paint peeling on the doors, and some had heaps of rubbish laying on the stairs.

Mr. Weasley took a piece of parchment out of his robes.

"Memorize it and pass it down," he said.

"What's the Order of the Phoenix?" Ron questioned, handing off the parchment to me.

"Not now, Ron!" Mr. Weasley said sternly.

The headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix may be found at number twelve, Grimmauld Place, London.

I glanced up at the houses again. There was a number eleven, and a number thirteen, but no twelve.

"Think about what you've just memorized," Mr. Weasley said.

Suddenly, a door emerged from between numbers eleven and thirteen. It was like an extra house had been inflated, pushing those on either side out of its way.

"Let's go, hurry now." Mrs. Weasley ushered us to the front steps.

When we entered the house, it was like stepping into total darkness. The walls were dark and the lights were dim.

"Lumos!" Mrs. Weasley said, and the hall got much brighter.

"Where are we?" Fred said.

"Number twelve, Grimmauld Place." Mr. Weasley informed us.

"What's the Order of the Phoenix?" asked George.

"The Order of the Phoenix," said a voice, "is a society of my own creation."

Dumbledore emerged from the shadows.

"Hello, Dumbledore," Mrs. Weasley said, looking flustered. "Is there a reason you've come here?"

"Yes," Dumbledore replied. "We will be holding yet another meeting tonight. I also need a word with young Weasley, Miss Granger, and Miss Hart."

Ron, Hermione, and I looked at each other, surprised.

"Come with me," Dumbledore said, walking down the hall.

The three of us followed hesitantly.

"Now that you are here, in the presence of the Order, I must ask that you do not say anything to Harry about this." he told us.

"Why not?" Ron inquired.

"It is for his own safety." Dumbledore said. "Can I have your word?"

"Yes," said Ron, Hermione, and I at once.

"Wonderful. Now, if you'll excuse me, I believe the meeting is about to begin." Dumbledore opened up a door and disappeared behind it.

Not even minutes later, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley came up behind us.

"You lot better go upstairs," Mrs. Weasley said. "I'm sure you're tired. Go on, you'll find your things in your rooms. And Ella, dear, your presents are up there as well."

When she and Mr. Weasley had gone through the door as well, I went up the stairs with Ron and Hermione.

Hermione and Ginny were staying on the first floor. Miranda and I had a huge room all to ourselves on the second. Harry and Ron would be staying in the room next to us, and Fred and George were on the third floor.

Before I could head up the second flight of stairs, someone grabbed my arm.

"Ella, just the girl I was looking for!" Fred said cheerfully.