60.

I had warmed up to Sirius with no problem. We ate every meal together, and I spent hours listening to his stories about his Hogwarts years. Miranda, on the other hand, took her time.

When she first heard the news, she didn't speak to anyone for the whole day. When Mum finally got the chance to explain, she would only call Sirius "Mr. Black".

"I am not calling you "Dad"." she told him stubbornly.

But at last, after three days full of mood swings, Miranda came to join us in the sitting room. We spent the remainder of the holiday getting to know one another— and our lives before Voldemort's downfall.

Everyone else was overjoyed when they heard the news. Even Mrs. Weasley—who seemed to butt heads with Sirius rather often—congratulated him like he was a new father.

The only person who didn't seem too thrilled was Harry.

The night we told everyone, I found him sitting on the stairs, alone, as everyone else partied in the kitchen. I sat down beside him.

"Wanna talk about it?" I asked. "Because whether you do or not, I still know what's bothering you."

"I guess I just feel...a little lonely. And jealous." Harry sighed. "Sirius is my godfather. He's the only family I've got. I'm happy for you, of course, but now I feel so alone. He won't be there for me now, since he's got you..."

"Harry, did you think we would just kick you out? You're family too! My Mum is your godmum, after all! Don't you think for one second that Sirius would favor me over you. He's not choosing between us. He's got both of us now, whether he likes it or not."

"Thanks, Ella, that means a lot." Harry smiled.

"No problem. Now, let's see if we can sneak a bottle of firewhiskey..." I smirked.

***

Sirius was getting rather miserable now that Christmas was over. As the date of our departure back to Hogwarts drew nearer, he stopped telling me stories and locked himself in his room.

On the eve of our return, I didn't see him once. I was devastated when Mum woke me in the morning.

"You're taking the Knight Bus to return to Hogwarts, and Tonks and Lupin are here to go with you." she said. "You better hurry, they want to leave as soon as possible!"

I barely got to eat breakfast before we pulled on jackets and began our goodbyes. Thankfully, Sirius had emerged from his room to see us off.

"We'll see you soon," Mum said, pulling me into a rib-crushing hug. "Stay safe. Love you."

"Love you too," I said.

"See you around," Miranda nodded.

"Enjoy having the room to yourself," I replied.

"I totally will." she smirked.

Finally, I had to say goodbye to Sirius. Before he could say a word, I hurried into his arms. He stood there for a moment, almost as if he didn't know what to do. But finally, he held me close.

"I'll see you soon, Ella. After school, we'll be a family again. Just you wait," he whispered in my ear.

And before I could even blink, the door of number twelve slammed shut behind us, and I was facing the cold, icy air.