72.

HE-WHO-MUST-NOT-BE-NAMED RETURNS

In a brief statement Friday night, Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge confirmed that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named has returned to this country and is active once more.
"It is with great regret that I must confirm that the wizard styling himself Lord — well, you know who I mean — is alive and among us again," said Fudge, looking tired and flustered as he addressed reporters. "We urge the magical population to remain vigilant. The Ministry is currently publishing guides to elementary home and personal defense that will be delivered free to all Wizarding homes within the coming month."

PROTECTING YOUR HOME AND FAMILY AGAINST DARK FORCES

The Wizarding community is currently under threat from an organization calling itself the Death Eaters. Observing the following simple security guidelines will help protect you, your family, and your home from attack.
1. You are advised not to leave the house alone.
2. Particular care should be taken during the hours of darkness. Wherever possible, arrange to complete journeys before night has fallen.
3. Review the security arrangements around your house, making sure that all family members are aware of emergency measures such as Shield and Disillusionment Charms, and, in the case of underage family members, Side-Along-Apparition.
4. Agree on security questions with close friends and family so as to detect Death Eaters masquerading as others by use of the Polyjuice Potion (see page 2).
5. Should you feel that a family member, colleague, friend, or neighbor is acting in a strange manner, contact the Magical Law Enforcement Squad at once. They may have been put under the Imperius Curse (see page 4).
6. Should the Dark Mark appear over any dwelling place or other building, DO NOT ENTER, but contact the Auror office immediately.
7. Unconfirmed sightings suggest that the Death Eaters may now be using Inferi (see page 10). Any sighting of an Inferius, or encounter with same, should be reported to the Ministry IMMEDIATELY.

"It's started already," Sirius sighed, reading The Daily Prophet over my shoulder.

"What do you mean?" I asked, tossing the paper to the side.

"They put these articles in to make people panic," he said, handing me a plate of fried eggs and toast. "Voldemort may be back, but that doesn't mean we should give up hope and go into hiding."

"Aren't you technically in hiding right now?" I said, raising an eyebrow.

"That's not the point," he chuckled. "Besides, Dumbledore is working on clearing my name. Soon, I'll be a free man."

I giggled as I took a bite of my toast, but quickly stopped myself.

Sirius had been good at lightening the mood ever since— what happened— but a part of me felt guilty for laughing and being happy.

"You don't have to do that, you know." Sirius said, taking a bite of his own toast as he sat down opposite me.

"Do what?"

"Stop laughing when you remember your sister." he said. "I know how you're feeling; I went through the same thing with James. You feel like you can't be happy or laugh or anything, because they won't get to."

"Well...yeah..."

"But it's okay, Ella. She would want you to be happy—"

"— Clearly you didn't know Miranda very well." I jokingly cut in, but when Sirius' face darkened, I knew I had touched a nerve.

"You're right." he said quietly, "I didn't. I wish I could have... But you can't beat yourself up over her death forever. You're allowed to be happy."

I nodded. Sirius stood up to leave, but there was still one thing on my mind.