76.

My date with Fred was a wonderful highlight. We spent all afternoon together, and I felt like a new person afterwards. Unfortunately, the feeling quickly vanished when I returned to the castle, because Katie Bell had been cursed.

News had spread quickly, and in the common room, it was all anyone would talk about. I could tell students were beginning to be frightened, because the world around us was becoming darker each day.

I layed in bed that night, feeling numb and dazed, as always. Just as I was about to drift off to sleep, I heard someone whisper my name.

"Ella!" Hermione called from her bed.

"What is it, Hermione? I'm trying to sleep," I sighed.

"Come here," she whispered, motioning for me to sit next to her.

I hesitated, but finally got up and crossed the room. As I sat on her bed, she looked at me with a curious gaze.

"Are you ok?" she asked me.

"Yeah, why?"

"You've seemed off. You barely talk to us anymore, let alone eat with us in the Dining Hall. You never seem to be paying attention in class, really, have you done any of the work? We just miss you, we miss the Ella we knew before..." Hermione's voice cracked, like she was about to cry. "I miss the Ella I knew. She was one of my best friends..."

Hermione's words cut deep. It was a wake-up call. After returning to Hogwarts, I had fallen into a rut, and didn't even make an effort to get myself out. I couldn't become a ghost of my old self, and I couldn't let the grief take away who I was.

As times were growing darker, I knew I had to be there for my friends and family, because they were still living. And that was enough.

***

I ate breakfast with Hermione, Harry, Ron, and Ginny the next morning. Hermione must have talked to Harry, because suddenly he was fine talking about his meeting with Dumbledore while I was around.

"I still don't understand why Dumbledore's showing you all this." Ron said as we walked to the Herbology greenhouse. "I mean, it's really interesting and everything, but what's the point?"

"Dunno," said Harry. "But he says it's all important and it'll help me survive."

"If I may," I cleared my throat. "If Dumbledore is showing you events of Voldemort's past, he's probably trying to show you his weaknesses. The more you know, the better you'll be at defeating him, right?"

"Well...yeah...I suppose you're right, Ella." Harry said.

As we entered the greenhouse, Hermione mentioned Slughorn's Christmas party.

"Harry, there's no way you'll be able to wriggle out of this one because he actually asked me to check your free evenings, so he could be sure to have it on a night you can come." she said.

Harry groaned.

"And this is another party just for Slughorn's favorites, is it?" Ron said angrily.

"Just for the Slug Club, yes," said Hermione.

"Well, I hope you enjoy your party. Why don't you try hooking up with McLaggen, then Slughorn can make you King and Queen Slug —" Ron sneered.

"We're allowed to bring guests," said Hermione, "and I was going to ask you to come, but if you think it's that stupid then I won't bother!"

I felt a bit awkward standing in the middle of this, but the two didn't seem to notice their surroundings at the moment.

"You were going to ask me?" asked Ron, in a completely different voice.

"Yes," said Hermione angrily. "But obviously if you'd rather I hooked up with McLaggen . . ."

"No, I wouldn't," said Ron, in a very quiet voice.

"Well...that got interesting..." I whispered to Harry, who was trying to look busy.

"Speak for yourself,"

***

Things only got weirder between Ron and Hermione, especially when we discovered Ron and Lavender Brown snogging in the corridor.

After that, Hermione asked Cormac McLaggen to Slughorn's party. I urged her against it, but clearly she was trying to make Ron jealous.

"You're just going to the party with him, right?" I asked as we got ready.

"Well, we—"

"Don't tell me you're actually going out with this prat!" I gasped, nearly dropping my earring down the sink. "Seriously, Hermione, I expected better from you."

"What if I actually happen to like Cormac?!" she said indignantly.

"But you don't," I frowned, "you're trying to make Ron jealous. And even though McLaggen is a total self-centered troll, you can't just lead him on to get revenge."

"I suppose you're right," Hermione sighed. "I'll break it off after the party."

"Good girl," I nodded. "We'd better get going."

We hurried down to Slughorn's office, the sounds of music and laughter growing louder with every step.

As I entered, I already felt out of place. The room was crowded and stuffy, and I could barely squeeze myself through the door.

"I'm going to find Cormac!" Hermione shouted to me. I just nodded in reply.

I couldn't seem to find Harry, or anyone else I knew, for that matter. It had only been moments since my arrival, but I wanted to leave.

I stood beside the punch for a while, hoping some of my friends would come by and rescue me from this torturous fate. Eventually, I figured no one would be saving me anytime soon. I decided to call it a night and head back to my dormitory.

I neared the door when Filch suddenly came marching through, dragging Draco Malfoy by the ear.

Intrigued, I followed the two as they neared Professor Slughorn.

"Professor Slughorn," wheezed Filch, "I discovered this boy lurking in an upstairs corridor. He claims to have been invited to your party and to have been delayed in setting out. Did you issue him with an invitation?"

Malfoy pulled himself free of Filch's grip, looking furious.

"Alright, he didn't give me an invitation!" he said angrily. "I'm with her!"

I stood in shock as Malfoy pointed to me.

"I'm her date!" he shouted.

"No, he's not!" I said furiously, but no one seemed to hear.

"That's all right, Argus, that's all right," said Slughorn, waving a hand. "It's Christmas, and it's not a crime to be invited to a party. I did give each person a plus one, as I recall..."

Filch seemed almost as pissed as I was.

Malfoy swaggered over to me, a sly smirk on his face.

"So, Hart," he grinned, "Don't you think you should dance with your date?"

"Why would do that?!" I demanded, frowning at him. "I already have a boyfriend! Now all my friends will think I'm a horrible cheater!"

"That was the goal," he sneered, extending his hand in an offer to dance.

"You'd be crazier than Moaning Myrtle if you thought I would ever dance with someone as loathsome as you!" I glared at him.

He raised his eyebrow, his lips still upturned. "No need to get snappy, Hart. I'm just being nice,"

I laughed. "You? Nice? Seriously, Malfoy, that's hilarious."

Before he could reply, I shoved past him and hurried toward the door. As I walked through the doorway and into the corridor, I heard footsteps echoing behind me. I sighed, mentally preparing to have another go with Malfoy.

But when I turned around, no one was there.