44.

We reached platform nine and three quarters just in time. I found Mum and Miranda within the crowd and we began our goodbyes.

"Behave this year, okay?" Mum smiled, pulling me into a tight hug. "I'll miss you."

"I won't," Miranda said dryly.

"Miranda, be nice!" my mother frowned. "This is the first year Ella will be alone at school. She won't have you to look out for her."

"She will be fine!" I interjected. "I'm fifteen, Mum, I can handle myself."

"I know, I know," she embraced me once more. "But don't do anything stupid, okay?"

"I can't make any promises," I told her, only slightly joking.

I turned to Miranda next, not sure what to say. I opened my mouth, but she put a hand up to silence me.

"I can't guarantee I'll miss you," she sighed, "but I will admit that it's gonna be a little weird without you around."

She held her hand out to me.

"A handshake? Really?" I said, eyeing her outstretched hand.

"Take what you can get," she replied snarkily.

I took her hand hesitantly, and she yanked on my arm, pulling me toward her.

It was a hug. One so fast, I thought I imagined it.

"Don't say it. Just don't." my sister said, taking a step away from me. "Things are different. That's it."

People started getting on the train, so we moved toward the crowd.

"Have fun being an Auror," I said. "Don't get killed."

"Have fun at school," she said in return. "Don't get killed."

"Keep your head down and your eyes peeled," I heard Mad-Eye Moody say as we got closer to them, "And don't forget, all of you— careful what you put in writing. If in doubt, don't put it in a letter at all."

"It's been great meeting all of you," said Tonks, hugging Hermione and Ginny. She turned to me and grinned. "Especially you, Ella. Keep practicing with your abilities, alright? They can come in handy sometimes."

I nodded.

Then a warning whistle sounded; the students still on the platform started hurrying onto the train.

"Quick, quick," said Mrs. Weasley distractedly, hugging us at random. "Write...Be good...If you've forgotten anything we'll send it on..."

I waved through an open train window, watching the figures of Tonks, Lupin, Moody, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Mum, and Miranda shrink rapidly. The train turned a corner, and then they were gone.

"Well," Fred said, clapping his hands together, "can't stand around chatting all day, we've got business to discuss with Lee. See you later,"

Before I could object, Fred grabbed my arm and pulled me down the corridor, George following closely behind.

"Hey!" I exclaimed. "Ron and Hermione have to go to the prefect carriage! Someone needs to keep Harry company!"

"He'll be fine," Fred shrugged.

"He's got Ginny," George added.

I gave up trying to pry my arm out of Fred's grasp and followed the twins down the train to their compartment.

"Hey guys!" Lee smiled as George slid the door open. "Hey, Ella!" he added when he caught a glimpse of me.

"Hey, Lee," I greeted in return. "How was your summer?"