74.

Just when I thought things couldn't get any more uncomfortable, Ron and Hermione entered the compartment at last.

Hermione looked at me longingly, but Ron just glared at me as he took his seat.

"Wish the lunch trolley would hurry up, I'm starving," said Ron, rubbing his stomach. "Hi, Neville. Hi, Luna."

"Hi, Ella," Hermione said hesitantly. "How have you been?"

"Fine," I shrugged.

Hermione opened her mouth, probably to try and pry more information out of me, but she was interrupted by a third-year girl sliding the compartment door open.

"I'm supposed to deliver these to Elladora Black, Neville Longbottom and Harry P-Potter,"

She was holding out three scrolls of parchment tied with violet ribbon. Once we all collected our scrolls, she stepped out of the compartment hurriedly.

"Since when do you go by 'Black'?" Harry asked me.

"I don't..."

Elladora,

I would be delighted if you would join me for a bite of lunch in compartment C.

Sincerely,
Professor H. E. F. Slughorn

"Who's Professor Slughorn?" asked Neville, looking perplexedly at his own invitation.

"New teacher," said Harry. "Well, I suppose we'll have to go, won't we?"

***

When we reached compartment C, I saw that we were not Slughorn's only invitees, although judging by the enthusiasm of Slughorn's welcome, Harry was the most warmly anticipated.

"Harry, m'boy!" said Slughorn, jumping up at the sight of him. "Good to see you, good to see you! And you two must be Miss Black and Mr. Longbottom!"

Neville and I nodded.

Slughorn gestured for us to sit down, and I glanced around at the other guests. The only other person I was familiar with was Ginny, and judging by the fact that she refused to glance in my direction, I assumed we were not on speaking terms.

"Now, do you know everyone?" Slughorn asked us. "Blaise Zabini is in your year, of course —"

Zabini was ice cold, giving no indication that he had even acknowledged our existence.

"This is Cormac McLaggen, Marcus Belby, and this charming young lady tells me she knows you!"

Ginny gave a warm smile to the boys, then looked away before she could meet my eyes.

"Well now, this is most pleasant," said Slughorn cozily. "A chance to get to know you all a little better. I was just telling young Marcus here that I had the pleasure of teaching his Uncle Damocles," Slughorn said. "Outstanding wizard, outstanding, and his Order of Merlin most well-deserved. Do you see much of your uncle, Marcus?"

Marcus choked on a bit of pheasant as he tried to respond. 

"Not . . . not much of him, no,"