96.

Malfoy spun around, looking both startled and angry. Hurrying back over to where I was standing, he grabbed my arm once more.

"What do you know?"

"I was— I was just wondering," I said hesitantly. "I found a letter from her, to my mother—"

"Show me." he urged.

"Why should I—"

"Accio letter," Malfoy commanded, and the letter flew out of my pocket and into his hand.

"That's not fair..." I grumbled as he read it.

"I didn't know Andromeda still talked to him..." he mumbled.

Before I could speak, Malfoy took my arm in his and Disapparated.

"What is going on?!" I shouted at him once we arrived.

I didn't recognize our location. I saw a tall brick house in the distance, but nothing else. The fields seemed to go on forever.

Malfoy finally looked at me, but his expression was unreadable.

"That's Andromeda's house." he said, pushing the letter back into my hand.

When I didn't move, he asked, "What are you waiting for?"

"I can't just barge in there!" I exclaimed. "I don't even know this woman! How do I know this isn't a trap?"

"I think you'll take the news much better if she explains it to you," Malfoy said in an unusual tone.

"Wait—" I called out as he turned to leave, "—Aren't you coming with me?"

There was an awkward silence. Malfoy cleared his throat uncomfortably.

"I'm not sure I'm welcome there."

Before I could object, he was gone.

The wind chilled me to the bone, so I made my way to the house hesitantly. When I reached the door, I almost turned around and went back home. But something inside me told me to stay. To knock.

So I did.

A moment later, a woman with short brown hair opened the door.

"Tonks?!" I exclaimed, unable to contain my shock.

"Ella?!" she gasped, nearly dropping her wand. "What are you doing here?"

I was unsure if I should tell her the whole truth.

"I—I was looking for someone..." I stuttered.

"Is everything alright? Here, come in," she ushered me into the house.

We stood in a small sitting room, with a cozy-looking couch and an armchair.

"Does anyone know you're here?" she asked.

I shook my head. She raised her eyebrow as if she wanted me to explain myself, but I didn't elaborate.

"Where's Remus?" I asked.

"He's upstairs. I'll take you to him. There's something you should see." Putting a hand on her stomach, she led me up a wooden staircase and into the first room off the hall.

The room was painted a soft blue, with a white bassinet in one corner. Remus was sitting in a wood rocking chair, looking deep in thought. When he noticed me, his face was riddled with confusion.

I looked to Tonks, who was smiling and still clutching her stomach. That's when I noticed a small bump underneath her top.

"You're having a baby?!" I shrieked with joy. "I can't believe it! This is wonderful!"