77.

On the train ride home, snow fell at a mile a minute. Harry and I talked fondly of Sirius, while Ron and Hermione sat mostly in silence. Clearly, Ron had still not forgiven her for the McLaggen incident.

When we arrived in London, a winter wonderland had overtaken the city. My heart raced as I stepped off the train. It had only been three months since my departure, but I had missed my family so much.

It wasn't hard to spot the Weasleys in the crowd, with my mother not far behind.

I hurtled toward her, tears springing in my eyes. She embraced me tightly, and suddenly everything was all right again.

***

"It's so great to be home." I said, curled up on the couch with a mug of hot cocoa.

"It's great to have you," Sirius smiled, sipping his firewhiskey.

"Is Fred going to come over?" Mum asked.

"No, he's working. We'll see him at the Burrow, though."

I tried to hide my disappointment. I had half-expected my red-headed boyfriend to surprise me at the platform, but Mrs. Weasley said the boys were slammed with customers at the shop.

"Thank god," Sirius pretended to wipe sweat off his forehead.

I threw a pillow at him.

"What?!" he grinned. "I'm just kidding,"

"Alright, you two. I think it's about time to decorate the tree," Mum looked at the clock. "I'll go get the ornaments."

"Not the tree," Sirius groaned playfully. "Can we use magic this time? I think I've earned it after my whole imprisonment, you know."

"No magic!" Mum shouted from the staircase.

We always decorated the Christmas tree as a family, and always without magic. Mum said it was more fun that way. Sirius clearly begged to differ.

While Sirius untangled the lights, I helped hang the tinsel.

"These damn things won't come apart!" he grumbled.

"You used to be so good at untangling those!" Mum giggled.

Sirius leaned into me and whispered, "I always used magic to untangle them. She never found out."

***

After the decorating had ceased, Mum and Sirius went to bed. I stayed downstairs, admiring the tree in all its glory.

The once-dark-and-dreary sitting room was now filled with Christmas spirit, but I wished the rest of the house was the same.

Sirius and my mother had done their best to get Grimmauld Place looking less depressing.
The kitchen was less grimy, and the wallpaper was now a nice green. But the old furniture and endless coating of dust kept this house feeling grim and lifeless.

I crept up the staircase, ready for bed at last. However, when I entered my room, it felt unfamiliar. I recognized the problem immediately: there was one bed instead of two.