68.

Suddenly, against our own will, Harry and I were being dragged backward through the flames. When I emerged from the fire, I found myself staring up into the hideous, toad-like face of Umbridge.

"You think," she whispered,, "that after two nifflers I was going to let one more foul, scavenging little creature enter my office without my knowledge? I had Stealth Sensoring Spells placed all around my doorway after the last one got in, you foolish children. Take his wand," she barked. "Hers too . . ."

Draco Malfoy yanked my wand out of my hand with a look of glee upon his face.

"Hold onto Miss Hart while I question Potter, won't you Draco?" she said, flashing her usual evil grin at me.

Before I could object, Malfoy grabbed my arms and pinned them behind me back. He pulled me over toward Hermione— who was being held by Millicent Bulstrode— and we exchanged looks of frustration.

"I want to know why you are in my office," said Umbridge, looking down at Harry.

"I was — trying to get my Firebolt!" Harry croaked.

"Liar." She shook his head again. "You had your head in my fire. With whom have you been communicating?"

"No one —" he said.

"Liar!" shouted Umbridge.

There was a commotion outside and several large Slytherins entered, each gripping Ron, Ginny, Luna, and Neville. All four of them had been gagged.

"Got 'em all," said Warrington, shoving Ron roughly forward into the room. "That one," he poked a thick finger at Neville, "tried to stop me taking her," he pointed at Ginny, "so I brought him along too."

"Good, good," said Umbridge, watching Ginny's struggles. "Well, it looks as though Hogwarts will shortly be a Weasley-free zone, doesn't it?"

Malfoy laughed loudly. I attempted to kick him in the shin.

"So, Potter," she said. "Clearly, it was very important for you to talk to somebody. Was it Albus Dumbledore? Or the half-breed, Hagrid?"

"It's none of your business who I talk to," he snarled.

Umbridge's slack face seemed to tighten.

"Very well," she said in her most dangerous and falsely sweet voice.

"Very well, Mr. Potter . . . I offered you the chance to tell me freely. You refused. I have no alternative but to force you. Draco — fetch Professor Snape."

Malfoy let go of me and hurried out the door.
There was silence in the office until Umbridge finally looked at me, as if she didn't notice that I had been apart of this scheme in the first place.

"Miss Hart," she said cheerily, "I see you're still causing mischief in my school. I told you what I would do to you if you persisted, did I not?"

I nodded.

"Then you are aware that I have no choice but to expel you. Effective immediately." she said, grinning eagerly.

Even though I had just been expelled, I felt no negative emotions. In fact, I was quite thrilled. I hated Umbridge more than anything, and to be free from her was a true gift.

I was ready to get up and leave when Draco Malfoy came back into the room, holding open the door for Snape. He grabbed my arms forcefully once more, and my second shin-kicking attempt failed.

"You wanted to see me, Headmistress?" said Snape, looking around at all the pairs of struggling students with an expression of complete indifference.

"Ah, Professor Snape," said Umbridge, smiling widely. "Yes, I would like another bottle of Veritaserum, as quick as you can, please."