37.

"Detention?!" Hermione gasped.

"Really, Hermione?" I scoffed. "I tell you about my kiss with Fred, and all you can think about is my detention?"

Hermione and I were in the library yet again. Exams were right around the corner, and I still needed her help with Potions.

"Well obviously I'm happy you finally kissed Fred, but was it worth the trouble?" she said.

"Dunno, guess I'll find out when I have to do it." I shrugged.

"When is it?"

"After the third task. Apparently, Filch wants me to have detention with Moody. But he's all paranoid about the tournament, so I'll serve it the day after." I replied.

"Okay, well, back to the point." Hermione grinned. "Has he asked you out yet?"

"Who?"

"Fred, of course!" Hermione exclaimed.

"No, he hasn't."

"Why not?"

"How should I know?" I snapped.

I wished I did know. Did our kiss mean anything? Were we together now? I had so many questions, and not enough answers.

***

On the morning of the third task, Harry was ushered away to meet the families of the champions.

He returned by lunch, though he was now accompanied by Bill and Mrs. Weasley.

"Mum— Bill!" said Ron, looking stunned, as he joined the Gryffindor table. "What're you doing here?"

"Come to watch Harry in the last task!" said Mrs. Weasley brightly.

We all sat down for a nice meal, and even Miranda joined us. It was like being back at the Burrow.

I ended up playing Exploding Snap with Miranda and Ron that afternoon, and then we returned to the Great Hall for a feast.

After the feast, Dumbledore directed us to head down to the Quidditch field. It looked completely unrecognizable. The maze that the task would take place in was about twenty feet high. It looked dark and creepy, and I felt relieved that I wasn't the one going in.

The stands filled, and I found myself sitting with Fred, George, Lee, and Miranda. I spotted Hermione, Ron, Bill, and Mrs. Weasley two rows in front of us, but there were no open seats next to them.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament is about to begin!" Bagman's magically magnified voice echoed into the stands.

Harry and Cedric were tied for first place, so they got to enter the maze first. Then Krum, and then Fleur Delacour.

"So...on my whistle, Harry and Cedric!" Bagman said. "Three— two— one—"

The whistle blew, and Harry and Cedric hurried forward into the maze.

The whistle blew again, and Krum entered.

The last blow of the whistle, and now all the champions were inside.

"How're we supposed to know what's going on?" Fred said, trying to peer over the hedges.

"We don't." Miranda replied coldly. "Quite stupid, if you ask me."

"Someone's in a sour mood..." I muttered.