105.

I could hardly believe my ears. Even as I ran out onto the front steps, and saw Harry's body in Hagrid's arms, I couldn't believe it.

No, no, no.

I began to sob in Fred's chest. He couldn't be dead...

"The battle is won. You have lost half of your fighters. My Death Eaters outnumber you, and the Boy Who Lived is finished. There must be no more war." Voldemort sneered. "Anybody who continues to resist, man, woman, or child, will be slaughtered, as will every member of their family. Come out of the castle now, kneel before me, and you shall be spared. Your parents and children, your brothers and sisters will live and be forgiven, and you will join me in the new world we shall build together."

"NO!" Professor McGonagall shrieked, and the sound was heartbreaking. Bellatrix cackled, clearly enjoying McGonagall's despair.

The open doorway filled with people, as the survivors of the battle came out onto the front steps to see the truth of Harry's death for themselves. My parents cried out in disbelief.

"No!"

"No!"

"Harry! HARRY!"

Ron's, Hermione's, and Ginny's voices were worse than McGonagall's. Their cries acted like a trigger; the crowd of survivors took up the cause, screaming and yelling abuse at the Death Eaters, until—

"SILENCE!" cried Voldemort, and there was a bang and a flash of bright light, and silence was forced upon us all. "It's over! Set him down, Hagrid, at my feet, where he belongs!"

Hagrid lowered Harry's body on the ground gently.

"You see?" said Voldemort. "Harry Potter is dead! Do you understand now, deluded ones? He was nothing, ever, but a boy who relied on others to sacrifice themselves for him!"

"He beat you!" yelled Ron.

"He was killed while trying to sneak out of the castle grounds," said Voldemort, "killed while trying to save himself—"

"Draco!"

All attention turned to the loud whispers coming from Lucius Malfoy, who was beckoning his son to come over to the Death Eaters.

I looked at Malfoy, who was holding hands with the blonde girl I had seen earlier. He kept his head down, ignoring his father's pleas.

Suddenly, Neville had broken free of the crowd and charged at Voldemort. He was immediately Disarmed, Voldemort throwing his wand aside and laughing.

"And who is this?" he said in his soft snake's hiss. "Who has volunteered to demonstrate what happens to those who continue to fight when the battle is lost?"

Bellatrix gave a delighted laugh.

"It is Neville Longbottom, my Lord! The boy who has been giving the Carrows so much trouble! The son of the Aurors, remember?"

"Ah, yes, I remember," said Voldemort, looking down at Neville. "But you are a pureblood, aren't you, my brave boy?"

"So what if I am?" said Neville loudly.

"You show spirit and bravery, and you come of noble stock. You will make a very valuable Death Eater. We need your kind, Neville Longbottom."

"I'll join you when hell freezes over!" said Neville triumphantly.

"Very well," said Voldemort. "If that is your choice, Longbottom, we revert to the original plan. On your head, be it."

Voldemort waved his wand. Seconds later, out of one of the castle's shattered windows, flew the Sorting Hat into his hand. I watched in horror as he Body-Binded Neville, lit the Hat on fire, and set it on Neville's head.

And then many things happened at once.

Hundreds of people came swarming over the out- of-sight walls and pelted toward the castle, uttering loud war cries. Then came hooves and the twangs of bows, and arrows were suddenly falling amongst the Death Eaters, who broke ranks, shouting their surprise.

In one swift, fluid motion, Neville broke free of the Body-Bind Curse; the flaming hat fell off him and he drew from its depths something silver, with a glittering, rubied handle.

With a single stroke Neville sliced off the great snake's head, and Voldemort's mouth was open in a scream of fury that nobody could hear, and the snake's body thudded to the ground at his feet.

"HARRY!" Hagrid shouted. "HARRY—WHERE'S HARRY?"

Death Eaters charged, and defenders of Hogwarts began moving toward the castle. Fred and I took on two masked men at once, shouting any jinx that came to mind.

Finally, we reached the Entrance Hall. Voldemort was across the room, firing spells from his wand and screaming instructions to his followers. More people continued to storm up the front steps; parents of students, shop-keepers of Hogsmeade, everyone had joined the fight now.

Suddenly, Fred and I jumped out of the way as the door that led to the kitchens was blasted off its hinges.

The house-elves of Hogwarts swarmed into the entrance hall, screaming and waving carving knives and cleavers. Kreacher led the crowd, the locket of Regulus Black bouncing on his chest.

"Fight! Fight! Fight for my Master, defender of the house-elves! Fight the Dark Lord, in the name of brave Regulus! Fight!"

Fred and I sprinted into the Great Hall, joining George and Lee as they slammed Yaxley to the floor. Close by, Ron and Neville were bringing down Fenrir Greyback, and Aberforth was Stunning Rookwood. I even caught a glimpse of Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy running through the crowd, not even attempting to fight, screaming for their son.

Then, I caught sight of Bellatrix dueling three at once: Hermione, Ginny, and Luna. I immediately bolted toward them; my desire for revenge had never been so strong. My sister's killer deserved nothing but a brutal death, and I wanted to be the one to take her down.

"Oh, look!" Bellatrix sneered. "My filthy cousin's daughter! Feisty one, aren't you?"

Before I had time to stop myself, I sent a Crucio straight toward her.

"Ickle Black wants to play dirty!" she taunted. "Ready to go the same way as sissie?"

And then a jet of green light flew out of her wand, and I jumped out of the way. Ginny, to my right, missed death by a mere inch.

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"
Mrs. Weasley threw off her cloak as she ran toward us.

Bellatrix spun on the spot, roaring with laughter at the sight of her new challenger.

"OUT OF MY WAY!" shouted Mrs. Weasley to us, and with a swipe of her wand she began to duel.

Jets of light flew from both wands, the floor around the witches' feet became hot and cracked; both women were fighting to kill.

"No!" Mrs. Weasley cried as a few students ran forward, trying to come to her aid. "Get back! Get back! She is mine!"

"What will happen to your children when I've killed you?" snarled Bellatrix, dancing around Mrs. Weasley's curses.

"You — will — never — touch — our — children — again!" screamed Mrs. Weasley.

Suddenly, Molly's curse soared beneath Bellatrix's outstretched arm and hit her squarely in the chest, directly over her heart.
Bellatrix's gloating smile froze, her eyes began to bulge: She toppled, and the watching crowd roared, and Voldemort screamed.

As I turned around, I saw McGonagall, Kingsley, and Slughorn blasted backward, flailing and writhing through the air, as Voldemort's fury exploded with the force of a bomb. Voldemort raised his wand and directed it at Molly Weasley.

"Protego!" roared a voice.

That's when I saw him: Harry, alive and well, standing between Mrs.Weasley and Voldemort.