15.

"Minerva!" I spun around, in shock. Professor Dumbledore was waving at me.

"Er— hello, Albus." I said hesitantly.

"What are you doing at Hagrid's?" he asked me.

"Just came to pay my respects, to Hagrid and his hippogriff." I hoped Professor Dumbledore would buy my lame excuse.

"Ah, how thoughtful of you. I have come to do the same."

"Well, I really ought to be going," I said.

"Of course, I'm sure you have lots of things to do. You looked very busy when I was by your office a few moments ago."

I froze. Dumbledore winked at me, and I knew my cover was blown. But instead of calling me out, Professor Dumbledore simply continued walking towards Hagrid's cabin.

"Get under the cloak, Ella, before someone else thinks you're McGonagall." Hermione held up the cloak, so I changed back to myself and hurried underneath.

We kept walking, but Ron came to a sudden halt.

"Oh, please, Ron," Hermione began.

"It's Scabbers— he won't— stay put—"

Ron tried to keep the rat in his pocket, but Scabbers was going crazy; squeaking madly, twisting and flailing, even trying to sink his teeth into Ron's hand.

"Scabbers, it's me, you idiot, it's Ron," Ron hissed.

"Oh, Ron, please let's move, they're going to do it!" Hermione breathed.

"Okay— Scabbers, stay put—"

Before we could realize what was going on, there was a jumble of indistinct voices, a silence, and then, without warning, the unmistakable swish and thud of an axe.

I felt tears stinging my eyes.

They had really done it.

"Hagrid," Harry muttered. Harry tried to turn back, but Ron, Hermione, and I seized his arms.

"We can't," said Ron. "He'll be in worse trouble if they know we've been to see him..."

"How— could— they?" Hermione choked. "How could they?"

I just stood there, completely silent.

"Come on," said Ron.

We set off for the castle again, walking slowly to make sure we were all hidden under the cloak. The sun was setting quickly, and darkness was upon us as we reached open ground.

"Scabbers, keep still," Ron hissed, clamping his hand over his chest. "What's the matter with you, you stupid rat? Stay still— OUCH! He bit me!"

"Ron, be quiet!" Hermione whispered urgently. "Fudge'll be out here in a minute—"

"He was better behaved when we thought he was dead..." I mumbled.

"What's the matter with him?"

But then we got our answer. Hermione's cat, Crookshanks, was slinking towards us.

"Crookshanks!" Hermione moaned. "No, go away, Crookshanks! Go away!"

But the cat was getting nearer—

"Scabbers— NO!"

It was too late— the rat slipped between Ron's fingers, hit the ground, and scampered away. Crookshanks sprang after him, and before we knew it, Ron had thrown the Invisibility Cloak off of him and pelted away into the darkness.