49.

Two whole weeks passed before Hermione mentioned the Defense Against the Dark Arts idea again. We were in the library, looking up potion ingredients for Snape, when she decided now would be a good time to ask.

"I was wondering," Hermione said suddenly, "whether you'd thought any more about Defense Against the Dark Arts, Harry?"

"'Course I have," said Harry grumpily. "Can't forget it, can we, with that hag teaching us—"

"I meant the idea the three of us had—" Ron cast her an alarmed kind of look; she frowned at him— "oh, all right, the idea I had, then— about you teaching us."

Harry was silent for a bit. I didn't take this as a good sign.

"Well," he said slowly, "yeah I- I've thought about it a bit."

"And?" said Hermione a little too eagerly.

"I dunno," said Harry.

"I thought it was a good idea from the start," said Ron.

"You did listen to what I said about a load of it being luck, didn't you?"

"Yes, Harry," I cut in. "But there's no point pretending you're not good at Defense Against the Dark Arts, because you are."

"Well, what do you think?" Hermione said to Harry. "Will you teach us?"

"Just you, Ella, and Ron, yeah?"

"Well..."

***

The first Hogsmeade weekend arrived quickly, and Hermione had a plan.

"Where are we going, anyway?" Harry asked. "The Three Broomsticks?"

"Oh— no," said Hermione, "no, it's always packed. I've told the others to meet us at the Hog's Head, that other pub. I think it's a bit...dodgy... but students don't normally go in there, so I don't think we'll be overheard."

We walked down the main street past Zonko's Joke Shop, unsurprised to see Fred, George, and Lee.

"Ella! Come with us!" Fred called.

I glanced at the trio, who all seemed to be deep in thought.

"I'll catch up with you guys in a bit," I told them.

"Are you going to the Hog's Head later?" Fred asked when I joined the three boys.

"Yeah, and you all should come as well. Harry'll be a much better teacher than that toad-faced bi—"

"Alright, alright, we'll come." George chuckled.

We wandered around Zonko's for another ten minutes or so, and Fred and George bought so many products I was sure their bags would break.

Next we made our way to Honeydukes. Fred bought me some Fizzing Whizzbees, and George bought Lee some Jelly Slugs. With about five minutes to spare, we headed over to the Hog's Head.

Before we sat down, Fred made his way to the counter.

"Hi," he said, counting everyone in the pub quickly. "Could we have...twenty-five butterbeers, please?"

The barman glared at him for a moment, then began passing up butterbeers from under the bar.

"Cheers," said Fred, handing them out. "Cough up everyone, I haven't got enough gold for all of these..."