11.

"Ella! Ella wake up it's Christmas!" Ginny was shaking me awake.

"Christmas can wait," I mumbled, covering my head with my blankets.

"No it can't! Let's go!" before I could object, Ginny grabbed my arm and yanked me out of bed. "Wait a minute, what are you wearing?" she asked. I looked down, confused, to see that I was still wearing Fred's sweater.

"Oh— Fred loaned me his sweater last night. I was cold," I told her quickly. Ginny raised her eyebrows.

"Yeah...okay then," she eyed me suspiciously, grabbed my arm once more and pulled me out of the bedroom.

"Happy Christmas girls!" Mrs. Weasley said with glee as we came down the stairs.

"Happy Christmas, Mum." Ginny said.

"Happy Christmas, Mrs. Weasley!" I smiled and glanced around the living room. Mr. Weasley was reading the Daily Prophet, Percy was intensely scribbling something down onto parchment, and Fred and George were sitting on the couch eating porridge and looking incredibly sleepy.

"Where's my mum?" I asked. Mrs. Weasley suddenly looked very uncomfortable.

"Um— Ella, dear," she began. "Lyra had to go into work. Last minute things for the Ministry." I felt a lump in my throat forming. I tried to prevent the purple color from fading, but I knew my hair was blue.

"But— but she's going to make it for Christmas? She's going to come back, right?" All the Weasleys gave me sympathetic looks. And then I knew the answer.

"I'm so sorry, honey," Mrs. Weasley said. I forced myself to smile.

"It's okay, I'm used to it." I told her. "Shall we open presents?"

"Oh— er— yes, of course." Mrs. Weasley motioned towards the living room and Ginny and I went to sit down.

"Here, this one's for Percy— and here, Fred and George," Mrs. Weasley started passing out presents. "Ginny, and Ella." I took the package from her and started to unwrap it.

"A sweater! I wasn't expecting that! Thanks, Mum!" Fred said, though it seemed like he was being sarcastic. I opened my package to find a Weasley sweater, it was blue with a big 'E' on the front.

"Thanks Mrs. Weasley,"

After a morning of opening presents, I retreated back to Ginny's room with my stuff. I had gotten a sweater from Molly, a candle from Percy, a bracelet set from Ginny, and Zonko's Frog Spawn Soap from the twins (for your enemies). I still felt bummed out that my mum wasn't here to celebrate Christmas with us, but it wasn't a bad morning after all.

"Hey, Ella?" Ginny entered the room with two presents in her hands. "We found these by your mum's bag. They have your name on them, here you go." she handed them to me.

"Thanks, Gin." I took the boxes and she left. I unwrapped the first one, addressed to me from my mother. There was a note attached:

Ella,

Happy Christmas, darling! I'm so sorry I couldn't be there with you! But an auror's work is never done, as you know.

I smiled a little. I knew she didn't want to leave me on Christmas day, and I knew her work was important. I decided to forgive her, like I do every year.

I hope you love the gift, I got it from my parents when I got accepted into Hogwarts. It's a book of poetry by a Muggle author, Maya Angelou, and I think you'll enjoy it.
Don't forget to owl Miranda and wish her a happy birthday!
Sending all my love, and I hope I'll be able to see you soon!