93.

Living with Fred was fantastic. Every morning we ate breakfast together in the bay window, then went downstairs to work. Afterwards, we watched Muggle television and made dinner. And every night, we got to fall asleep in each other's arms. It was truly perfect.

But it wasn't all sunshine. Diagon Alley was practically abandoned, and we were lucky to get more than five customers each day. The twins said it was the slowest it's ever been. But they always stayed open. Day after day, week after week, the shop never closed.

Eventually, we received news that Harry, Hermione, and Ron had been taking shelter at Grimmauld Place. Lupin had found them there just three days after their disappearance. But they weren't planning on staying, and we weren't even sure if they were still there by the time we found out.

"If they're staying there, surely I can go back to get my things." I told Fred stubbornly.

"Ella, it's just not safe." he frowned.

"Please!" I begged. "You can come with me. We'll be in and out. Honest."

"Fine. In and out." he reluctantly agreed. "We'll go in a week, just to be sure that the location hasn't been compromised."

***

One week later, I sat on the counter as Fred tinkered with a new product.

"Shield Cloaks," he explained to me. "People have been desperate for defensive products. Anything to protect their families, I suppose."

Suddenly, George came hurrying down the stairs, The Daily Prophet in hand.

"Look what they put in the paper!" he exclaimed. "The Ministry of Magic is undertaking a survey of so-called "Muggle-borns," to better to understand how they came to possess magical secrets."

"That's ridiculous!" I frowned, taking the paper from his hands. I skimmed the article; the words "Muggle-born Registration Commission" popping out at me.

"What does this mean?" Fred asked, reading over my shoulder. "Every Muggle-born is supposed to talk with these Registration people?"

"And did you see," George added, "that Hogwarts attendance is mandatory now?! But you have to prove you have a magical relative before you can go."

"This is mad!" I shook my head, throwing the paper onto the counter in disbelief. "What do you think happens if you don't register?"

We all sat in silence, pondering the horrible consequences for avoiding the registration.

"Bet loads of people will be going into hiding now." Fred said, standing up to take a peek out of the window.

That's when it hit me.

"Mum..." I muttered.

"What?" the twins asked simultaneously.

"They're going to come after my mother!" I said fearfully. "She's Muggleborn, and married to a criminal on the run! They're going to come after her!"

"Hey, El, it'll be ok. They're already in hiding, right?" Fred assured me. "I'm sure they'll be smart and lay low for a while."