54.

December arrived quickly, and all I could think about was Christmas. I was eager to go home and hopefully get more information out of Sirius and my mother.

Hermione was going skiing with her parents for the holidays, which greatly amused Ron, who had never heard of such a thing. I, myself, have never skied, but mum had told me all about it.

Ron, Harry, and I were going to the Burrow, as usual.

***

Soon enough, we held the last D.A. meeting before the holidays.

"Okay," Harry said, "I thought this evening we should just go over the things we've done so far, because it's the last meeting before the holidays and there's no point starting anything new right before a three-week break —"

"We're not doing anything new?" said that git Zacharias Smith, in a disgruntled whisper loud enough to carry through the room. "If I'd known that, I wouldn't have come. . . ."

"We're all really sorry Harry didn't tell you, then," said Fred loudly.

"We can practice in pairs," said Harry. "We'll start with the Impediment Jinx, just for ten minutes, then we can get out the cushions and try Stunning again."

I paired with Fred, as usual, and worked on the Impediment Jinx. Mine was getting fairly good, but I wasn't going to brag.

Finally, we worked on Stunning. I hadn't been successful yet, but I felt like today was the day.

"Alright, Hart," Fred smirked, stepping back. "Let's see what you've got."

"Stupefy!" I shouted.

A light burst from my wand, but nothing happened to Fred.

"Try again, Ella," Harry instructed. "This time, make sure you hold your wand firmly."

"Alright, Stupefy!"

This time, Fred was hit in the chest and flew back onto the cushions. Everyone broke into applause.

"That's it!" said Harry excitedly. "Brilliant, Ella!"

I walked over to Fred, beaming ear to ear. His eyes were wide, and he still lay flat on the ground.

"That was hot," Fred muttered as he stood up.

At the end of the hour, Harry called us over.

"You're getting really good," he said, beaming around at us. "When we get back from the holidays we can start doing some of the big stuff — maybe even Patronuses."

I felt a jolt of excitement. I hadn't practiced the Patronus charm since third year, and it hadn't gone exactly how I wanted it to.

"Come on, Ella," Fred took my hand as everyone filed out of the room.

We walked back to the common room, and when we entered, it looked like everyone had already gone to bed.

"Want to sit?" he asked, motioning to the couch.

I nodded.

We sat side by side, and I leaned into his shoulder. I had never felt more at peace than I did at this very moment.

"Hey, Ella?"

"Yeah, Freddie?"

"I really like you," he looked into my eyes with that smile that makes my heart race.

"I really like you too," I said earnestly.

Silence fell between us.

"I never thought we would get together," I admitted.