24.

After a long train ride, I entered the Great Hall. Even after four years, it was as magnificent as ever.

"Where's the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher?" Hermione asked as we took our seats.

I glanced up at the staff table. There were no new faces, and the chair that Lupin had taken was now empty.

"Maybe they couldn't find someone." I suggested.

I watched eagerly as Professor McGonagall took out the Sorting Hat. When the hat finished its song, we all broke into applause.

"That's not the song it sang when it Sorted us," said Harry.

"Sings a different one every year," said Ron. "It's got to be a pretty boring life, hasn't it, being a hat? I suppose it spends all year making up the next one."

When the Sorting was finished, Dumbledore got to his feet.

"I have only two words to say to you," he told us. "Tuck in."

And without another word, piles of food began to appear onto the table.

"So!" said Dumbledore when we all finished filling ourselves with food. "Now that we are all fed and watered, I must once more ask for your attention while I give out a few notices."

Dumbledore went on to explain the new additions to the list of objects forbidden in the castle, which now included Fanged Frisbees, Ever-Bashing Boomerangs, and Screaming Yo-yos.

After a loud shout of disappointment from the Quidditch teams when Dumbledore announced the Quidditch Cup would not be held this year, the doors of the Great Hall banged open.

A man stood in the doorway. He was wearing a black cloak and slowly limped toward Dumbledore.

"May I introduce our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher?" Dumbledore said brightly. "Professor Moody."

"Moody?" I heard Miranda hiss from the far end of the Gryffindor table. "As in Mad-Eye Moody? Isn't he the one that's completely mad?"

"What happened to his face?" Hermione whispered.

"As I was saying," Dumbledore cleared his throat, "we are to have the honor of hosting a very exciting event over the coming months, an event that has not been held for over a century. It is my very great pleasure to inform you that the Triwizard Tournament will be taking place at Hogwarts this year."

"You're JOKING!" Fred said loudly.

"I am not joking, Mr. Weasley," said Dumbledore, chuckling, "though now that you mention it, I did hear an excellent one over the summer about a troll, a hag, and a leprechaun who all go into a bar..."

Professor McGonagall cleared her throat loudly.

"Er— but maybe this is not the time...no..." Dumbledore said.

The Headmaster continued to explain the rules of this tournament. Three magical schools would be participating, Durmstrang, Beauxbatons, and Hogwarts.

Excited chatter broke out when Dumbledore revealed the prize was one thousand Galleons, and then there was a great uproar when he told us that the age limit would be seventeen.

"They can't do that!" said George as we were dismissed to go back to our common room. "We're seventeen in April, why can't we have a shot?"

"They're not stopping me from entering," said Fred stubbornly.

I broke out into laughter, and the twins turned to glare at me.

"Who's the impartial judge who's going to decide who the champions are?" said Harry.