18.

Pettigrew flinched at the name.

"What, scared to hear your old master's name?" said Black. "I don't blame you, Peter. His lot aren't very happy with you, are they?"

"Don't know what you mean, Sirius—" muttered Pettigrew.

"You havent been hiding from me for twelve years, you've been hiding from Voldemort's old supporters. I heard things in Azkaban, Peter... They all think you're dead, or you'd have answered to them... sounds like they think the double-crosser double-crossed them. Voldemort went to the Potters' on your information... and Voldemort met his downfall there. And not all Voldemort's supporters ended up in Azkaban, did they? There are still plenty out here... If they ever got wind that you were still alive, Peter—" Black said.

"Don't know...what you're talking about..." said Pettigrew again. "You don't believe this— this madness, Remus—"

"I must admit, Peter, I have difficulty in understanding why an innocent man would want to spend twelve years as a rat," said Lupin.

"Innocent, but scared!" squealed Pettigrew. "If Voldemort's supporters were after me, it was because I put one of their best men in Azkaban—the spy, Sirius Black!"

"How dare you," Black growled.

"Er— Mr. Black— Sirius?" said Hermione. "If you don't mind me asking, how— how did you get out of Azkaban if you didn't use Dark Magic?"

"Thanks you!" gasped Pettigrew, nodding frantically. "Exactly! Precisely what I—"

Lupin shot him a look, and he shut up.

Black explained that he could transform into his Animagus form, and the thought of being innocent kept him sane. When he saw Peter Pettigrew in that newspaper, he transformed, slipped right through the cell bars, and then swam to land.

"I journeyed north and slipped into the Hogwarts grounds as a dog. I've been living in the forest ever since, except when I came to watch the Quidditch, of course. You fly as well as your father did, Harry..." Black looked at Harry. "Believe me, Harry. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them."

Harry nodded, and I knew he believed Black. And I did too.

"No!"

Pettigrew fell to his knees.

"Sirius— it's me...it's Peter...your old friend...you wouldn't..."

Black kicked out and Pettigrew recoiled.

"There's enough filth on my robes without you touching them," said Black.

Pettigrew turned to Remus, begging and pleading, but Lupin turned to Black, and Black started rolling up his sleeves.

"Shall we kill him together?" he asked.

"Yes, I think so," said Lupin grimly.

This sent Pettigrew into a panic. He hurried to Ron.

"Ron...haven't I been a good friend...a good pet? You won't let them kill me, Ron, will you...you're on my side, aren't you?"

"I let you sleep in my bed!" That was the only thing Ron had to say on the subject.

So Pettigrew turned to Hermione, but she too, pulled away from him. He went to me next.

"Ella...please, Ella! Your mum would want you to forgive me...we were dear friends..." he tried to pull at my robes, but I shoved him away with my foot.

"Get off of me, you filthy, traitorous, son of a—"

He approached Harry last.

"Harry...Harry...you look just like your father...just like him..."