87.

All lessons were suspended, all examinations postponed. Students were taken home by worried parents, as Hogwarts was no longer safe.

There was talk of the school closing, but McGonagall agreed to keep it open until after Dumbledore's funeral.

It was hard to believe Dumbledore was really gone. Even as I walked down to the Great Lake dressed in black robes, I was in complete denial.

Most of the chairs were already filled when I arrived. I saw Tonks and Lupin sitting together, which made me smile. I also saw Umbridge, which made me quite angry; I had to take a few breaths to turn my hair back to blue.

I searched the rows of seats until I caught a glimpse of some familiar redheads. I hurried over and tapped Fred on the shoulder. His eyes lit up when he saw me.

"Ella!" he jumped up from his seat and pulled me into a tight hug. "You look rather blue today, what's the matter?"

I chuckled lightly, taking a seat next to him. I had missed his jokes. But even though he was smiling at me, I could see the worry in his eyes.

As the funeral began, he took my hand in his and held it tightly. As long as we had each other, everything would be alright...

***

After the funeral, I sat with Harry, Ron, and Hermione by a tree near the lake. None of us knew what to say, but the company was enough comfort in itself.

"How can Hogwarts close?" Hermione finally broke the silence.

"Maybe it won't," said Ron. "We're not in any more danger here than we are at home, are we? Everywhere's the same now. I'd even say Hogwarts is safer, there are more wizards inside to defend the place. What d'you reckon, Harry?"

"I'm not coming back even if it does reopen," said Harry.

"What?" I blurted.

Hermione said sadly, "I knew you
were going to say that. But then what will you do?"

"I'm going back to the Dursleys' once more, because Dumbledore wanted me to," said Harry. "But it'll be a short visit, and then
I'll be gone for good."

"But where will you go if you don't come back to school?"

"I've got to track down the rest of the Horcruxes, haven't I?" said Harry. "That's what he wanted me to do, that's why he told me all about them."

"Harry, you can't!" I realized how pathetic I sounded, but I didn't care. "Mum and Sirius won't allow it."

"I'm not asking their permission," Harry said firmly. "I have to do this. Ella, you can't tell them I'm leaving. You're right, they would try to stop me. But I have to go."

My heart ached as I thought about Harry, risking his life to track down these Horcruxes. I had already lost one sibling, I couldn't lose him too...

There was a long silence.

"Fine," I sighed. "I won't tell them."

"Thank you," Harry nodded. "You'll come to understand. This is what I have to do."

I stood up, brushing the dirt off my robes.

"Just don't get yourself killed," I shook my head. "Your savior complex is hopeless."

Before he could make an empty promise, I hurried off. I can't lose him too...

***

I arrived home the next day. Sirius was waiting for me at the fireplace, a smile on his face.

"Welcome home!" he said, wrapping his arms around me. "We missed you."