16

TW// Panic Attack

I sigh, tracing the patterns of the plaster ceiling with my eyes as I lay on my back in the living room, waiting for Dream to come back. He left hours ago, to negotiate the full terms of the new treaty. It took both Eret and Sapnap to hold me back as I screamed after him, furious that he was going off to decide the terms of my life, without me there.

The front door swings open and I jump to my feet, as he marches into the room.

"Rosie sit down." He orders.

I glare at him, dropping onto the couch with a huff.

"Don't call me Rosie." I snap, because even though it's petty, I can't help take the bait. I can feel him rolling his eyes behind his mask. I tuck my legs up, arms wrapping themselves around my body to stop me from trembling. I've been on edge all day, a continually building ball of stress and anxiety as the clock ticked down to the meeting. The meeting where they decide my fate, in exchange for L'manburg's independence.

Thanks for that, Wilbur.

Eret and Sapnap sit on either side, clearly anticipating another violent outburst from me, but all I feel like is throwing up. George hangs over the back of the couch, a comforting hand on my shoulder, and Dream pulls up a chair to face me, keeping a safe distance. We sit in strained silence for a moment, before Dream lets out a heavy sigh.

"We have officially signed the treaty and its conditions. I have agreed that we will not perform any more patrols around L'manburg, or engage in any unprovoked attacks, as well as allow citizens of L'manburg to enter Dream SMP lands. We have also scheduled further meetings for the negotiation for complete independence, and in the meantime, L'manburg will be recognised as a seperate district within the SMP." He says calmly. I let out a small breath, sheer relief flooding through me. The war is over, and L'manburg won, well, except for me. Dream continues. "In exchange for those conditions, Rosemary stays with us. Rosie, you can't enter the lands of L'manburg, and must live in this house, but you can otherwise go anywhere on the SMP. For a grace period of a month, you are also prohibited from contacting any member of L'manburg, as we settle all negotiations and solidify the terms."

Oh fuck that.

I sit shell shocked in stunned silence, as if all the air had been knocked out from my lungs. I have to see my friends, I have to go home, I can't be trapped here, I just can't. I barely register George's hand rubbing my shoulder, and Eret's attempts to get my attention, all I can focus on is the sinking feeling of horror that's settling into the pit of my stomach.

I keep staring blankly at Dream's mask, eyes wide, the emptiness of shock slowly turning into red hot fury. I can feel my body start to tremble, my teeth clenched so tightly they might shatter, nails digging into my biceps. The way he just sits there, emotionless, careless, like this bores him, is like petrol thrown on the fire currently igniting in my abdomen.

"You fuc- This is all your fault, you piece of shit!" I scream, standing up and pointing my finger straight at Dream.

"The conditions were mutually agreed upon."

"Mutually agreed upon?" I spit. "So what I'm hearing is that you and Wilbur had an equal hand in fucking me over!" Sapnap grabs me before I have a chance to jump on Dream, pulling me back into his chest as I lash out ferociously. Dream doesn't move from his chair, bracing himself up on his knees.

I'm screaming my head off, throwing every swear word I know venomously in Dream's direction. Sapnap heaves, lifting me off my feet, my arms and legs swinging wildly in the air, and he carries me out of the room screeching madly. Eret and George follow us down the passage way, trying to calm me down. I laugh manically at that, because I am so beyond calm that the mere suggestion is hilarious. They manage to force me into my room, and I'm dumped on the bed, the door slamming behind them.

I try the door, but they're holding it closed on the other side. The handle doesn't budge and I'm filled with the overwhelming terror of being trapped again. I'm stuck. I can't get out. Get me out of here right now. I pound hysterically on the door, tears starting to pour down my face, and I can't breathe, everything is too close and I'm too trapped and I can't breathe. I can't breathe. Why can't I breathe?

I feel my legs buckle out from under me, and I slide against the door to the ground. I press myself desperately against the door, willing it to open. I'm shaking worse than I ever have in my entire life, and I cover my head with my arms, curling into a tight ball, trying to protect myself. I'm taking in air in big gulping breaths, the tightness in my chest and throat squeezing too hard. The door creaks open, and I quickly scramble back, leaping to my feet.

I run straight into Eret and George, who pull me tightly into their arms. I sink to the floor, still held in their embrace. I end up pulled into Eret's chest, hiding my face in the crook of his neck. George pulls my hair out of my face, whispering mantras that I'm going to be ok, that I'm safe. I slowly stop trembling as they hold me, and the tightness lessens it's hold on my lungs. I  lift my head to see Sapnap sitting next to us, his face creased with worry. He grabs my hand and squeezes, and I give him a shaky smile that seems to reassure him.

I pull myself to my feet, wobbling slightly as I even out my breathing. My heart is still thumping wildly, and it feels like my body has been zapped with electricity, but externally I've calmed down.

"I need fresh air." I tell George, Eret and Sapnap, and they all nod understandingly. I take deep slow breaths as I make my way down the hallway, my arms curling themselves around me, digging my fingernails into my palms.

"Where are you going?" A voice behind me stops me dead in my tracks. I whip around to face Dream, who's leaning against the wall, intimidating in his armour and mask.

"I'm going outside." I snap at him.

"If you go to L'manburg, the treaty becomes void." He says back.

"I'm not going to L'manburg."

"You still shouldn't go."

"You said that I have to live with you, but I could go anywhere in the Dream SMP." I tell him, matter of factly. I turn around, and keep walking. He follows me to the door, as I walk through the garden, towards the forest.

"Rosemary come back here!" He calls out after me.

I just flip him off as I storm into the darkness of the forest.

------------

A/N So a really shitty deal with shitty terms, and who's to blame? I didn't even plan to include Rosie having a panic attack at all, but when I started writing it, it seemed like a natural response to everything that she's been through. While of course this is a fan fic, I didn't want to just completely romanticise trauma like a lot of other works do, and I always make sure I try and make Rosie's responses and reactions realistic, which includes being traumatised by what she's been through. I based Rosie's attack off my own panic attacks, and how I feel when I go through them, which was actually quite therapeutic to write!

I also wanted to thank you for your kind words of support on my last chapter. I often get pretty insecure about my writing, and worried that I'll disappoint people, so it really means a lot to hear that people are genuinely enjoying the story. Thank you all so much for you comments and kind words <3.

On another note, last A/N I take about a new short story idea. A lot of you seemed pretty keen on reading it, so it's definitely on the cards, but I want to finish this story first before I start any new projects, so I'll keep updating you on all the details as I figure them out.

I hope you enjoyed!

Oopsies x