18

I arch out my sore back, rolling out the stiffness from working in the garden. It's midday, the sun shining high in the sky, and I wipe the beads of sweat that have collected on my forehead. I'm alone at the house today, Sapnap and George out hunting, Eret and Dream collecting resources to repair the side of the house. I spent the morning in the garden, cherishing the early dawn hours where I dangle my legs off the pier, a steaming mug of tea warming my fingers, watching as the sky ripples with streaks of soft yellow and pink.

The sun beats down harshly, and my back complains instantly when I lean over to work on the potatoes, so I decide to cut my losses and head back into the shade of the house. I trudge back inside, collapsing into the comfortable couch and relishing the cool air on my skin. The house seems so empty without anyone in it, but I still enjoy the quietness and peace it gives me. My stomach rumbles, and I walk into the kitchen, rummaging through the almost bare cupboards despairingly.

Tap.

Some bird must be at the window. I pull out an apple, and chop it into neat wedges, knife slamming onto the chopping board.

Tap. Tap.

I peer into the fridge, but it's empty, because of course Sapnap drank my lemonade.

Tap. Tap. TapTapTapTapTap.

I slam the door of the fridge shut. What is making that fucking tapping? I grab a glass and fill it with water and ice, snatching up my apple slices and stomping to the couch. I chew furiously, and I can feel my eye start to twitch at the incessant tapping, and I can't locate where it's coming from.

The window shatters, and I drop my glass of water with a scream. A blonde boy tumbles through the empty window frame, bouncing onto the carpeted floor. He rolls a couple times before coming to a stop a few metres from the couch, shooting me a mischievous grin.

"Hey Rose!"

I dive off the couch, tackling the boy, both of us crashing back down onto the ground. I wrap my arms around his neck, squeezing tightly, laughing as we roll around on the carpet from the momentum of my enthusiasm. We end up a mess on the floor, tangled by his lanky arms and legs. I grab his face with both of my hands, squeezing his cheeks and pull his face close to mine.

"What are you doing here Tommy?" I ask, shocked.

"Well I wasn't going to not see you for a month." He says, like somehow I'm dumb for not thinking of that.

"What if Dream or someone comes back? The treaty will be broken and then who knows what they'll do to you!" I panic. "Tommy you can't be here!"

He puts his hands over my own on his face, and just keeps smiling at me, seemingly unperturbed about the thought of Dream splitting his skull with an axe upon finding him in the living room of his house.

"They're all out, and you know they won't be back for ages. It's ok Rose, I made sure, I just needed to see you." Tommy reassures.

I nod, and pull him in for another hug, so grateful so see him again. I missed him so much, his infectious childish joy, the way he lights up a room, the way he can make anyone laugh, no matter the situation. I missed his happiness, and the way he radiates life.

We untangle from each other, and I curl back up onto the couch as he sits up on the floor.

"So you don't think I'm a traitor?" I tease.

"Honestly I did, I mean we all did, except for Tubbo. But then Fundy came back and told us what happened in the forest and I realised how dumb it was that we actually thought you would betray us." He tells me. "Wilbur's completely lost his shit though, by the way, he still thinks you're a traitor and Fundy does too, even though you saved his life."

I roll my eyes. "Of course he does, I don't know what more I could do to prove I'm not at this point. And I could tell something was off with Wilbur when we talked in that house, at the negotiation."

"Yeah he's kind of fucked in the head now, but the countries still running under him so no one says anything. More importantly Rose, are you doing ok?" He questions, voice filling with concern.

"Tommy, you don't have to worry about me, ok? I'm fine, I've got Eret and Sapnap and George and honestly they're not bad. They've helped me get through everything, and they distract me from all the bad stuff. And Dream... Dream has backed off me. I'm completely fine." I don't mention the freakout, or the night on the pier, or the true way Dream makes me feel because I would only make Tommy worry more.

"Do you still want to be in L'manburg?" His question catches me off guard.

"Of course Tommy, its my home, and I still love you guys so much. It's bearable here, and I'm slowly getting used to it, but I'm not free. I need to be free Tommy, I need to be with my family. I need to be home." I implore, staring intently at him.

He smiles, looking relieved, as if he actually thought that I wouldn't want to come home. Its much better here, than before, and I've started to live again, in the garden, in the river, in the forest, but I would throw it all away in a heartbeat to go back. I know I would.

He reaches forward and grabs my hands, which are folded in my lap. His face is serious, a shocking contrast to his usual carefree expression.

"We're going to figure this out, me and Tubbo. We'll fix Wilbur and Fundy and we'll figure out how we can get you home. I don't care about what Dream says, or who he has on his side, you can come home. We'll make sure of it."

I can't help the smile that spreads on my face, as I nod. Tommy stares at me for a few seconds, before pulling me in for a desperate, crushing hug, and I know he's saying goodbye. I feel the familiar twinge of sadness in my heart, but it's beaten back by the comforting feeling of hope that is blossoming in my chest. There's a chance I could go home.

He shoots me one more concerned look, which I return with a steady smile, then hops back through the window. "You could have just gone through the front door!" I call out. I can hear him laughing as he disappears into the forest. 

I look back at the mess that is the completely destroyed window strewn out across the carpet. I feel like slapping my hand into my face, why couldn't he of just used the front door? I'll have to make up some lie that explains it, because I'll never be able to fix it. I clear up the remains of my cup, and soak up the spilled water.

Thankfully, Sapnap and George get home first, and they find my lie about falling through it after being scared by a bird hilarious. I'll endure days of teasing, no doubt, but at least they bought it, and convinced Dream and Eret who are a lot harder to trick.

That night I go to bed with a full belly, and a heart full of hope. The emptiness that used to crush me at night and the loneliness that used to destroy me have faded with time, and I fall asleep with a quiet mind, for the first time in a very long time.

—————
A/N I don't really have anything to say about this chapter, but I did enjoy writing some optimistic hope for poor rosie. I also wrote half of this on my phone because my computer died, which was very frustrating and annoying.

Thank you all so much for the votes, comments and support!

I hope you enjoyed!
Oopsies x