17

I lean against a tree, letting the evening air fill my lungs, and drift under my clothes. The sun has just sunk below the horizon, its soft yellow glow still lingering in the sky. The quietness of the woods blanket me, and I close my eyes, embracing the feeling of being the only person here, my mind emptying as I surround myself with the completeness of the wilderness. 

"Fancy seeing you here, Rosemary."

I whirl around, heart stopping dead. Fundy's standing there, his face obscured by shadows, sword held casually in his hand. There's something extremely wrong, and I can feel it, still frozen against the tree. He steps out of the cover of the branches, and I see the hatred etched into his eyes and the scowl on his face. 

"Fundy?" I squeak nervously. 

"You're just as bad as Eret, you fucking traitor." He spits.

"Traitor? Fundy, I swear I'm not a traitor! How could you believe that? Why would I ever betray you guys?" I half yell, because I desperately need him to know.

"I don't know Rose, neither does Wilbur. All we know is that you seem pretty close to Eret and Dream, you know, our enemies! The people that set L'manburg on fire! That attacked us all!" He yells back, his eyes wild.

"Close?! To Dream? You're all fucking stupid if you think that. I'm not a traitor, if anything Wilbur is! But apparently trading your own friends to the fucking enemy doesn't count. Oh, and being held hostage by the enemy and kept in a tiny cell without sunlight does. What the fuck is wrong with you?" I can't believe that they actually believe this. What the hell is Wilbur thinking?

"Yeah, well how about we talk about this with Wilbur?" He sneers, and snatches my arm. His hand tightens painfully on my wrist, and I try and free myself to no avail.

"Fundy, what about the treaty? Fundy think!" I plead, as he starts pulling me out of the forest. He doesn't answer, instead swinging his sword to rest on my throat. I stop breathing, not daring to move as the coolness of the blade seeps into the delicate skin on my neck. The message is clear, as he loops his arm over my shoulder, keeping the blade tilted over my throat, positioning himself behind my back. He pushes me forward and we keep walking slowly. 

"Touch her and you'll never make it out of this forest." I dark voice snarls behind us. Fundy spins us around, both of us gasping when we see the owner of the voice. Its Dream, mask glowing eerily in the dusk, metal armour gleaming lethally, an axe twirling in his hands. Fundy's arm just tightens around my neck.

"So has the prince has come to rescue his little princess?" He jeers cruelly, and I can feel the sharp daggers of hurt pierce my heart. He hates me. He thinks I'm a traitor. Dream only smirks, his lips peering out from under the mask which rests below his nose. 

"You could say that." He takes a menacing step forward. "Let her go, or I'm going to rip you apart."

He towers over both of us, muscles tensed under the metal plates that encase his chest and legs, and I know that there's no way Fundy can take him on. Fundy knows this too, unpeeling his arm off me, then shoving me harshly away from him. I stumble behind Dream, heart racing. The two face each other, and I can see the pure disgust and rage in Fundy's eyes as his knuckles turn white around the sword handle. 

He lunges forwards, Dream easily deflecting the swing of his sword. He goes again, sword flashing wildly, centimetres away from Dream's right ear. Dream suddenly darts out and slams the handle of his axe into Fundy's temple. Fundy staggers back, clutching the side of his head as Dream bares down on him, swiping his legs out from underneath him, and kicking the sword out of his hand. He kneels down on Fundy's stomach and raises the axe.