43

The plan was simple. And by simple, I mean extremely rushed and not very well thought out. It was easy to follow at least. 

We all agreed on going at night, meeting at Niki and I's house and then making a break for it for the woods, where it's much easier to lose people. They have guards at the parameters now, but there's a few blind spots, one around the side of the northern wall. 

We'll pack light, mainly food and water and my expansive med kits. Armour will only slow us down, and we'll pick up the old tools and clothing we have at our old house outside of L'manburg. We can't live there, because Fundy and George will know exactly where to look for us, so from there we'll find a village to camp in and find Tommy and Wilbur. 

I don't think we really care what happens after, we just want to get the hell out of here. 

The only thing is, I could never leave Tubbo behind, not alone and not with Schlatt. So, I find myself on the day of the escape standing out the front of his little cottage, knocking on the door.

It squeaks slightly as someone opens it hesitantly, cracking a tiny gap that I can't see through. 

"Tubbo?" I ask quietly. The door swings open a little wider, and I can see half a pale face, one wide eye. 

"Rosie?" He responds in a scared voice. I can feel my heart breaking.

What the fuck did Schlatt do to him? 

"Can I come in?" I keep on the voice I use when I treat little kids, sprained wrists and scraped knees, like I'm approaching a wounded animal that I don't want to frighten. I get my response despite the silence, as the door opens all the way and I step inside. 

Tubbo's dressed in one of Schlatt's business suits, still looking every bit like a little kid playing dress up, in the worst way possible. His face is pale, too pale, and he's drawn back in a timid manner, as though I would snap and attack him at any moment. 

"Are you okay Tubbo?"

He nods, too quickly, and far too unconvincingly. I look at him expectantly, for more of an explanation.

He swallows nervously. "Schlatt said I wasn't really supposed to be around you." 

"Did he hurt you?"

"No. I'm fine." He says quickly, harsher than I've really ever heard him talk. It answers my question in an unspoken way, and so I cut to the chase. 

"We're getting out." 

"What? Getting out?"

"Niki, Jack and I are leaving. Tonight."

"No. No Rose that's illegal, Schlatt will punish you."

"Schlatt's already punishing me, we have to leave before he does any more damage Tubbo, we can't stay here."

"I'm not going with you."

"What?" It's my turn to be shocked. "Look at what he's done to you Tubbo! Look at what he's done to everyone! We have to leave before it's too late."

"It's against the rules." He responds almost robotically.

"Who gives a shit Tubbo? We're going to get fucked over anyway if we stay! We have to leave and we're leaving tonight." I try again imploringly, eyes searching desperately over his closed off face to try and find some kind of break through. 

I refuse to believe that I will have to leave him here, that I will have to abandon him, like I was forced to abandon Tommy. 

"Schlatt said no one can leave Rose. I'm apart of the cabinet, I have to follow the rules."