61

The large hall is draped in layers of grey, red and an ocean green-blue hue, packed with people mingling happily. I can feel Sapnap squeezing my hand, and I look up to him smiling reassuringly. Dream stands stiffly beside us, head turning sharply as he surveys the scene before bus. All business, and no fun. 

"Hey you guys!" Bad's welcomingly familiar voice sounds out, and he approaches, happy face uncovered, black suit and bowtie, red fabric lining the inside of his suit jacket. "I hope everything was okay at the inn."

"It's great, thanks Bad." Dream chimes in, still scanning over the crowd. "Is he here yet?"

"Backroom." Bad answers him, and Dream pushes past us, squeezing my elbow before disappearing through the throng. "You guys look so good!"

"Thank you!" I say. "You look great as well."

Bad beams at me, before turning to Punz and Sapnap. "Ant's here somewhere, I know he wanted to see you two. I'll introduce Rosemary to everyone."

Both of them hesitate, and Punz clears his throat. "I'm supposed to stay with her."

"She'll be fine with me." Bad laughs. "I'm not going to do anything, you muffin-head."

"Muffinhe-" I begin to question, but Sapnap pinches my hand to shut me up, eyes flashing warningly. This must be the whole no bad language crusade Dream informed me of earlier. 

"It's not really you, it's more her." Punz says uncertainly, unsure whether to reveal the full reality of our situation. 

"Punz I promise I won't run." I sigh, taking the arm Bad offers out to me. "Go say hi to your friends, Bad'll look after me."

I don't stay to listen to either of their protests, letting Bad steer me away towards some long banquet tables, thick red fabric draped over the dark, shiny wood, laden with dishes. 

"What was that all about?" Bad pounces the moment we're out of earshot. I turn to face him. 

"What exactly has Dream told you about me?"

"Well he said that you two were very close-"

"Bad, he's currently holding me hostage after Schlatt imprisoned me for beating the Vice-President to death. Punz doesn't want to leave my side because he's being paid to make sure that I don't run." I explain matter of factly.

"Hostage?!" Bad practically yells, earning us a few strange looks from groups around us. "He never said anything about kidnapping you-"

"Shh!" I hiss. "It's a work in progress, don't worry about it. I thought you'd be more upset about the whole murdering the Vice President thing."

He shrugs. "Did he deserve it?"

"Yeah he did."

"Then I don't see an issue."  

"Perfect." I grin. "I knew I liked you Bad."

"Doesn't everybody?" A woman's voice says, decadently rich tones and words spoken with a smile that I can hear. 

I turn around, almost choking on my own spit at the person before me. She's tall, about Punz's height, all long legs and ropy muscle that wraps around her lean arms. The flickering glow of lamps casts a golden glow on her midnight skin, high set cheekbones and angled face giving her a sense of imposing regality that she carried with gracefulness; limbering, deliberate, sweeping movements as she approaches us. 

She's dressed in a burgundy, skin tight gown, skirt slit up her toned thigh, open neckline revealing sculpted collarbones and smooth skin. Her eyes were dark brown, almost black, not in the cold empty way that Schlatt's were, but enticing pools that roamed the room with confident ease. Her hair is piled up on top of her head, twisted into intricate braids, coal black curls perfectly swirled on the edge of her hairline.