24

I tap my fingers on the wood grain of the table, resting my head on the soft couch. I snap to attention when Dream comes back in the room. 

"I just finished my message to Wilbur. I'm going to let this little muck up go, because it was an accidental run in." He says pointedly. "But I made sure to let him know that in the event anything else happens, I void the treaty and the whole place goes up. I promise you Rosie, that is not an empty threat."

I let out a sigh of relief. Even though there was a deadly promise laced in his words, everything will be ok for now. He continues. "So would you like to tell me what you were doing talking to them?"

"I just ran into them in the woods, and we caught up. We haven't seen each other since the treaty was signed, and I really missed them." I say, heart thumping in my chest. 

"What was that piece of paper on the ground?" He questions, unconvinced.

"New proposals for L'manburg projects, they were doing surveying and Tubbo wanted to show me." I answer smoothly, my face calm, masking the rising panic inside. He seems to buy it though, judging by the way his shoulders relax and his face loses its seriousness.

"You can't do that again, you see anyone, you turn around and walk away." He orders. I grit my teeth and take in a deep breath, trying to stop the flash of anger that I know is coming.

"Fine, I will, even though I think the terms are stupid, and that both of you are idiots." I snap back. He grins, sitting down opposite from me, whole face lighting up as he leans back. 

"So...about that kiss." He drawls, eyes raking over me. 

"No. Nope. We've already established that that was a distraction technique." I say quickly, trying to fight the heat rising to my cheeks. He laughs and leans in.

"Rosie, come on now, there's a lot more options someone can think of other than kissing to distract someone." He teases.

"I wasn't thinking, all I thought was the you were going to kill them and I had to stop you." I scoff.

"Rosie just admit it." 

"Admit what?" I question stubbornly. He stands up and comes to stop directly in front of me, and I glance up at his towering figure. 

"You know what." He says. My face is on fire now, and I focus on the tiny hole in the couch to avoid his piercing stare.

"I don't know wha-" I start. My face is probably bright red now, and I can feel his eyes on the side of my face.

"I have feelings for you, and I know you have feelings for me, otherwise you wouldn't have kissed me." He breathes. I let out a strangle breath, and cover my face with my hands, torn between what to say. I feel things for him, I know I do, but I would be betraying everyone in L'manburg if I admitted it? Would they want me back if they knew?

"Yes." I whisper, barely audible. I can hear him squat down, and he gently pries my hands away from my face. I look up to see his face split into a boyish smile, happiness radiating from his expression. His fingers curl around mine, and I just want to bury myself and never come back out of embarrassment. 

"We don't have to go anywhere from this." He says quietly. "It's up to you. I won't push you into anything."

I nod. Truthfully, I don't know where I would want to take this, how far I want to go. It feels so much easier to just hide away, let my feelings fade and try to get home. But there's a part of me, a part I've never felt before that begs me to stay, to reach up and kiss Dream again rather than pushing him away. It clings on to the hope that maybe things would be so much better. No matter how many times I'm disappointed, no matter how many bad things happen, I still cling onto hope.

I lean forward and gently press my lips against his, closing my eyes as I lean into him. We break away, and I see the shock in his wide eyes. 

"Are you sure?" He murmurs. I just smile back. Maybe I'll regret this. Maybe this is a really bad decision. But then again, maybe I can find a new kind of love, something that warms the places in my heart long left cold. 

He grabs my hands and yanks me to me feet, wrapping his arm around my lower back as I stumble into him. His free hand brushes the hair out of my eyes, thumb tracing the length of my face as he leans in and kisses me softly. I rest my arms around his neck, pulling us even closer together. He breaks it off, taking his hand away from my face and circling it around my shoulders. I tighten my arms and bury my face into his chest, allowing myself to feel safe in his warmth. 

"Why?" He asks, voice shaky and unsure, like he's afraid to hear my response. 

"I don't know." I answer, muffled by his shirt. I don't know what's changed, what's made me realise. All I know is that here, in his arms, I don't feel the awful loneliness that threatens to choke me, or the ache in my chest. 

"We have to take this slow." I tell him. I can feel him nod against my head.

"Of course."

 We both pull away, and I find myself already missing his touch, hating the cold rush of air that replaces his arms. 

"I'm going to take a shower." He says, twisting a strand of my hair between his fingers. 

"Yeah you need one." I deadpan. He chuckles, dropping a kiss onto the top of my head. 

"Feel free to join me princess." He teases. I smack him on the shoulder as he walks past, and I can hear his laughter echo all the way down the hallway. I'm left with the lingering feelings of his lips on mine, and a heart torn between two places. 

Well Rosie, you got yourself into this in the first place.

---------

A/N Little unsure about the timing for this, I keep thinking it's a bit too soon, but oh well I enjoyed writing it. 

Thankyou for all the support, and please drop a vote and a comment, I really appreciate it!

Hope you all enjoyed,

Oopsies x