26

I squint my eyes against the offending light that streams in through the windows, groaning as I turn my stiff neck and lift up my head. Niki shifts, next to me, her head burrowing into my shoulder as she clenches the fingers pressed against my side into a fist. We both must of fallen asleep while talking about our future plans for the election. 

I quietly slide out of bed, careful not to wake her, stretching out my limbs as I tip toe to the doors. I smooth back my frizzy hair into low bun, rubbing my sleep blurred eyes. The warm early-summer air hits my face, light and pleasant with the midmorning sun. 

I make my way to the van, the short grass tickling the underneath of my feet, and climb up the stairs, yanking open the door. Instantly, everyone's heads snap up, Tommy, Tubbo and Wilbur with their sleep mussed hair and dazed expressions, eyes widening after a moment of shock. 

"Hey guys." I say awkwardly, face burning underneath their unwavering gazes. 

"Rosie." Wilbur says with a voice full of awe. I give him a small smile. 

"I'm back." I quietly say in a sing song voice, fiddling with my fingers. Tommy realises first, barrelling into me, throwing his arms around my neck, and I stumble back from the sheer force of his momentum. He doesn't say anything, squeezing tightly, and I can hear him crying quietly into the crook of my neck. 

Tubbo collides with us a moment later, smushing himself between us, wrapping his arms around  both of our waists. 

"You're back?" Tubbo asks in a tiny voice, full of uncertainty. 

I nod against Tommy, swallowing back the tears threatening to spring up in my eyes.

"Course Tubbo. I promised, I'll always come back." I rasp, squeezing them one more time before letting them go. Wilbur pulls me in for a hug.

"You ok?" He asks, concerned, pulling back and putting his hands on my shoulders. 

"I'm better now. A lot better." I answer sincerely. I turn, to see Tommy and Tubbo standing next to each other, Tommy silently crying. My heart breaks and I grab Tommy's face and wipe the tears off with my thumbs. 

"I'm ok guys, I promise." I reassure, smiling softly. Tommy sniffs, then scrunches up his face, twisting his head out of my grasp.

"Stop putting your gross fingers all over my face." He whines, wiping his cheeks in disgust. Wilbur and Tubbo roll their eyes at his antics, but I bite the inside of my cheek to stop myself from breaking down into tears. I feel so guilty for hurting them like this, for putting them through that.

I walk over to the table on shaky legs, collapsing down onto a seat. "I'm so sorry." I whisper, tugging at the loose threads at the bottom of my shirt.

"It's not your fault." Tubbo says despairingly, looking at me. I sigh, nodding slightly, even if I don't believe what he's saying.

"You don't believe us, do you?" Wilbur asks gently, looking at me through the mass of unruly brown curls that flop over his forehead. I let out a huff of laughter, shrugging my shoulders. It's hard to believe, especially when I've seen how much it's affected them. 

"You're forgiven." He says. "Even though it wasn't your fault, we forgive you." Tommy and Tubbo nod enthusiastically along with him. I can feel the heavy weight of guilt, like lead in my stomach, lessen slightly, and it's enough for now. 

"Yeah, you're not forgiven for making us deal with fuckin' Dream for weeks though." Tommy bursts out in outrage, and I can't help the laughter that I let out. "He was here every day. Every day Rose! I wanted to punch myself in the face at the end of it."