23

"Yes, he said that! He's decided to run against them!" I exclaim in outrage, gesturing frantically with my hands as I relay the events of today to Niki and Tubbo, all three of us heaped in the shade next to the van, waiting for Wilbur and Tommy to come back out.

"What are we supposed to do?" Tubbo asks, eyes wide in concern. Niki looks deep in thought, chewing on her bottom lip as she stares at the ground. 

"I don't know Tubbo, but we can't let him win! I mean, I like Quackity, but as the president of our country?" I shake my head, "I don't know about that."

Niki nods in agreement, and pushes herself off from the side of the van. "It's going to be fine Rose, there's not much we can do now." 

I sigh, shrugging my shoulders to rid the tension that sits heavily over my neck. "Yeah, you're right. I'm going to go on a walk to calm down, you guys coming?"

Tubbo shakes his head, saying something about waiting for Wilbur and Tommy. I'll catch up with them later, because I'm pretty sure they're going to be in there for a while. Niki joins me, and we slowly make our way to the forest. 

I feel myself relax the moment we disappear into the leafy green foliage, soothed by the cool of the shade that smothers the rough dirt tracks, dappled with yellow sunlight that manages to peek through the trees. 

"And then, he's all like; 'princess that's why I didn't burn it to the ground' or some dumb shit." I mock, dropping my voice to imitate Dreams. Niki laughs at my despair, climbing over the thick  brown trunk of a fallen tree.

"I hate that stupid nickname, and that stupid smirk thing he always does, and I hate the way he's just so arrogant and egotistical and- and- and weird!" I complain, finishing in a shout. Niki keeps laughing, holding my wrists as she helps me clamber over the log. My tailbone is still not completely healed, and my hand really shouldn't hold any weight.

"Weird?" Niki asks with a giggle, circling her arm around my waist as I clumsily lower myself back onto my feet. "He's definitely arrogant and egotistical, but weird?"

"Don't even get me started Niki. I mean, who in their right minds thinks the best way to handle a war is to kidnap a random girl and keep her in his room? What the hell is wrong with him? And then fall in love with her? That's a shit strategic move." I ramble, following behind her as we walk deeper into the forest. 

"I was so confused when Wilbur first told me, that didn't seem like a great tactic." Niki agrees. "You should have stolen all his secrets." 

"Yeah, except my dumbass had to go and fall in love with him too." I sigh, wiping the sweat off of my forehead. 

"I guess you can't help your feelings." Niki says reasonably. "Although, what exactly do you see in him?" She finishes, leaning in with a conspiratorial whisper.

I grin, leaning in closer to her. "You should see him without a shirt on."

Niki chokes on air, smacking me in the arm. "I do not want to see that!" She yells, face crinkled in disgust. I laugh evilly, rubbing my stinging bicep.

 "He was kind, and he cared about me. I felt safe with him." I say, more seriously. Niki's face softens, lips curving into a small smile. 

"When you went missing, he was destroyed, he was barely functioning. He loves you so much Rose." She says gently, and I nod slightly at her words. She straightens up and shrugs. "But that doesn't mean you have to love him back."

I shrug as well. "I'll figure my feelings out eventually, but right now I don't want to see him."

"But I thought he was so hot?" She reminds me, wide grin plastered on her face. I'm about to open my mouth with some dumb remark about Dream's abs just to piss her off, when we hear voices echo from the clearing just up the path. 

"Sapnap?" I call out uncertainly, the louder one of the voices familiar. My whole body feels like a rubber band pulled taught, seconds from snapping, needle like tremors of adrenaline coursing through my bloodstream, my heart pounding in my temple. I still love the forest, but within the dark shady recesses of the winding trees, buried in the damp dirt, hidden under mossy rocks, are memories of terror and fear, attached to this place beyond separation. Nothing good as come from voices in the forest.

"Rosie?" Sapnap calls back, and I let out a shaky sigh of relief, dizzy calm replacing panic. We enter the clearing, George and Sapnap standing in the clearing, George in a bright blue shirt, and darker blue pants, white rimmed glasses balanced on his nose, Sapnap in a black shirt and pants, thick hair held off by his thick white headband.

"What are you guys doing?" I asks cheerily, once we reach them. Sapnap grins in greeting at us, then looks at George, who half heartedly waves, fingers fidgeting nervously. I notice in an instant.

"What's wrong?" I ask suddenly, tone snapping into a more serious one. Sapnap laughs unconvincingly. 

"Nothing."

"Bullshit." I retort. 

"Uh, we heard about the election and Quackity." George says.

I narrow my eyes sceptically, because they still haven't given me an answer. "You know Quackity? I ask curiously. 

"We've seen him around." George answers.

"That's nice. What's wrong?" I say bluntly, even more suspicious. Niki stands next to me, staring at them expectantly. Judging my the nervousness in Sapnap's face, he knows they're not going to be able to evade my questioning. 

"Nothing's wrong, we were just arguing about something. It's stupid, don't worry about it." George answers vaguely,  again, shifting from one foot to the other. 

I don't buy into it. "This will be a lot easier if you just told me what's going on." 

Sapnap opens his mouth to say something, but is cut off by George.

"I'm running with Quackity." He blurts out. 

Are you fucking kidding me? 

-------

A/N Hello everyone! I thought we'd have a nice fun chapter, as a set up for the shit that's about to go down. Not much to say today, except that I'm almost finished with SACs and I should soon be back to updating more frequently! I've already planned the next 10 or so chapters, so that should make it much easier!

If you can, please vote and comment, it means a lot to me, and I love reading all of your reactions and thoughts.

I hope you enjoyed!

Oopsies x