58

The morning brings an empty sort of numbness, all that fear, all that hurt, evaporated in deep slumber and rhythmic breaths and closed eyes. Someone- Punz, has left a pile of neatly folded clothes on a chair, so I quickly get dressed, oversized shirt that definitely not mine and a plain pair of pants, and pull my hair up into a ponytail. 

When I reach the living room, Dream is there, sipping something out of a mug. His eyes widen when he sees me, softening in the middle of the room. 

"Rosie-"

"Where the fuck is Niki?"

Oh, did they all think I would conveniently forget that little bit of information? 

"What?"

"Do not- do not start playing your stupid fucking games with me Dream, just tell me the truth. Where is Niki?"

Dream sets the mug down, eyes glued to the bench, considering his next move.

I scoff. "You know what? I already know. What I want to know is why you didn't let Eret tell me she left."

"She had to leave because of Schlatt, and I didn't want you to worry." He responds placatingly. 

"She wouldn't have left- she wouldn't have just left me while I was in there." 

"She had to protect herself, Schlatt was after her, so she left. I didn't want to tell you because I knew how much it'd hurt you." He says gently, coming closer, hands outstretched, always to touch me, to comfort me, to be with me. 

"I'm sorry, I know how much she meant to you." He says, fingers curling around the top part of my arm.

"Wha- Why are you talking like she's dead?"

"No, no, no, no." He amends quickly, other hand on my other arm. "She's fine, I helped her get to Tommy and Wilbur after they trashed her bakery."

"You did?" I ask, looking up at him. 

"Yeah-"

I step back, letting his fingers slide off my skin, arms hanging by his sides, brows furrowed just so. Of course, of fucking course he was involved. 

"What did you do her?" I hiss intently. 

"Whoa wait I didn't do anything-"

"She wouldn't have just left Dream, you and I both know that. She didn't leave me in the woods the night Jack died, and she sure as hell wouldn't have left while Schlatt had me captive. What did you do?"

"She left you Rosie, and I know, after everyone else how hard that is, and you're just lashing out because you're desperate to find an excuse. It's okay, but I promise I didn't do anything." 

"Did you threaten her? Is that it? Did you tell Schlatt to go after her so she'd get forced out? Did you kidnap her like you did to me?"

"She left! Like all the others did-"

"The others didn't just leave Dream. Jack died, Tommy and Wilbur were exiled and nearly killed as part of a deal you made, and Tubbo's been indoctrinated by the lunatic you put into power. Which is funny, because there seems to be common fucking denominator, so what did you do?"

"I'm not arguing with you while you're in denial."

"Don't pull this shit with me." I spit, scowling. "Just tell me what you did."

And he just stands there, so calm, and still and knowing, blank face and understanding eyes masking the fucking guilt that he can't even feel, masking the little give aways which let me know he's lying.