68

He thought the worst thing he would ever have to go through was when she broke up with him, the pieces of his world that fell down around his ears, the way everything he ever knew, ever believed faltered in nauseous waves, that unwavering confidence shattered, the nasty voice needling in the back of his head.

He made it quiet years ago.

It should never have come back.

But it did, and even though he knew, he fucking knew the truth, the real truth, the cold, beautiful truth of the world, and the truth that she loved him, the she would always love him, that he would always love her.

No one could love you. The voice hisses, and it's louder, and the piercing tones are warped, painful in his ear drums and it makes his head want to fucking explode, makes him want to lash out to make it all quiet again.

It's wrong, and it's lying, and he's fucking sick of the poisonous words it spits, the lies that spew and stick in his brain, twisted like a knife in the gut, again and again and again.

He was wrong though, her breaking up with him was bad. This was so, so much worse.

They took her from him then, they turned her against them, made her weak and vulnerable, but nothing, nothing he couldn't fix, nothing that would stop them.

But now, now she left him.

She left.

And he's going to find her. He's been too easy, too nice, too fucking soft, but he knows now. She needs to learn, how the world is, the cruel truth of the world, needs to learn how to keep herself safe. He can teach her.

She'll hate him for it, scream and cry and call him names, maybe even try and kill him a couple times with that adorable little homicidal streak she's developed, but it's nothing he can't handle, not since it's for the better.

He can take it, because he knows she doesn't mean it. After everything they've been through together she still loves him. They both know she can't stop, no matter how much she wants to pretend like she can.

She'll learn, and they'll be okay, and she will finally, finally let it happen, let her feelings out without shame, without stopping herself. He just has to do what needs to be done.

You're too weak. The voice says. You can't.

He couldn't, not then, not before, but he already knew that. The voice was wrong.

He'd told her, last night, that she'd made him soft, that despite everything she'd manage to squirm her way in, mean something to him like no one had before. He'd never loved like this before, never known a person he cared about so deeply. He tried to hide from that, but she'd bulldozed past all his defences.

But after this, he can do what needs to be done. What he always needed to do.

Right now, he has to find her.

The bed was cold when he woke up and he'd torn the house apart, almost ripped a door of its fucking hinges, but she wasn't here, not in his bed, or her room, or Sapnap's, or Punz's, or Eret and George's empty ones. He couldn't fucking find her, because she's wasn't here.

"What the fuck were you doing?" He screams, and he doesn't know if it's the panic that's still beating through his system, or the anger that's igniting under his skin, or the dull thud of painful realisation in his temples, but it comes out as a guttural yell straight from his churning stomach. Punz blinks slowly, still trying to get rid of the last traces of the sleep he was jerked from.

Standing there, like she isn't fucking missing, like Rosemary isn't fucking gone, and the whole world needs to stop, just so he can find her again. Because he will, she can't have gotten far, and she won't go far either, because why would she?