2

I hiss in frustration as the undergrowth snakes around my ankles, and I stumble, tripped up by vines and ferns. Niki wanted a kitten, and I'll be damned if I don't get her one. George mentioned that he and Eret had found a litter of kittens on a trip, and that they were trying to find homes for them, and that's how I found myself trudging through thick, almost impenetrable forest to the house. 

I almost kiss the flat ground in relief as I break through the edge of the woods, finally able to walk unimpeded on the plain. The looming house swims into sight and I stop, taking it all in. It's the first time I've been back since I made my decision and left Dream and everyone. I remember the first time I saw it, dragged back by Dream after kicking him in the nuts, a good memory if I've got one. I remember being carried back after Wilbur made the deal for independence, and the nights I spent with George, Sapnap and Eret, lying on our backs to look at the brilliant stars. It's a bittersweet moment, but I shake my head to clear the rising feelings and trudge onwards. 

I rap my knuckles against the smooth wood of the front door, and I almost laugh at the fact that I'm a little nervous after all this time. I hear footsteps approach the door, and it swings open to reveal Dream's mask covered face. 

"Rosie?" He says in surprise, pulling the mask off. Why couldn't literally anyone else be the one to open the door? 

"Uh hey Dream. George mentioned you guys had some kittens and Niki wants one." I say awkwardly. He stares at me for a moment, green eyes swimming with hints of emotion, before stepping back.

"Oh yeah, come in." He motions with his arm, and I brush past him to go inside. I hate the way my stomach tightens at the tingling feeling of his arm against mine. We're both standing in the middle of the living room, surveying each other. I notice the new white scars that are scattered over his face and knuckles, faint and light. There's dark bags hanging underneath his bright eyes, and his skin is paler than normal. He looks tired. I clear my throat.

"So um...the kittens?" 

"The kittens, yeah there's got one left, I'll get it." He says quickly, disappearing into another room. I perch myself on the edge of the couch, smoothing down my pants. It looks exactly the same, same chairs, same rug, same everything. Almost like I hadn't left, but of course I did. 

He remerges holding a tiny ball of fluff in hands. I pretty much squeal in excitement and leap up, grabbing the kitten and pulling it close to my chest.

"Aw look at you!" I coo, stroking its velvety head. "Aren't you adorable?"

Dream smiles, and for a second his old self flashes through, young and carefree. The defeated look in his eyes settles back into place, and I can see his face darken ever so slightly. 

"I take it that you'll have him then?" He asks jokingly, as I hold the adorable fur ball above my head, admiring the tiny little features on its face. I nod enthusiastically, settling it down on a cushion, and it curls up instantly. I think my heart is about to burst from cuteness, and I can't help but almost explode in excitement at seeing Niki's reaction. 

"We're thinking about getting some dogs soon, if you want one." He mentions, and I can feel my entire body light up in happiness. 

"Oh my god yes! I would love one!" I squeal, flinging my arms around his neck and pulling him into a hug. I don't even realise what I'm doing until I'm pressed up against his chest. Jesus Rosie, what the hell are you thinking? He freezes for a moment, but wraps his arms around my torso and I can feel the desperation in his grasp. I let him hold me for a moment, both leaning against each other. It makes me want to cry, because I've missed this, I've missed him so much. 

I break away, slowly pulling myself out of his arms. My stomach flutters at the feeling of his hands dragging across my back as he lets me go. I scoop up the kitten, and cough awkwardly to try and break up the terse silence. 

"Well um thank you, Niki's going to be so happy." I say. "And yeah, I would love a puppy if you find one." He nods.

"Of course, I'm glad it can go to a good home, and I'll make sure to keep an eye out." 

"You know what, you should come over to dinner tonight. Niki will want to thank you." I blurt out impulsively, before snapping my mouth closed. God, why do I have to say dumb things at the worst of times? It gets exhausting constantly sabotaging my own life. 

"Oh no I really shouldn't, if anything you're doing us the favour." He says, shaking his head. 

"No you're coming, and you know how Niki is. Do you want her breaking down your door tonight trying to force feed you baked goods? Didn't think so." I affirm. Well, I may as well commit to it now right? And anyway, Dream and I should start to get used to each other, this awkward barely even friendship we have is killing me on the inside. 

"Now that is a terrifying thought. I'll be over when at sundown, and tell Niki not to put in too much effort alright? I don't want to give you guys any more work." He concedes.

"Awesome, I'll see you then!" I smile genuinely. I turn to the door, and before I head out I catch the grin spreading on his face in the reflection of the window.

"See you then princess."

---------

A/N Honestly this was kind of painful to write, I hate any kind of second hand embarrassment no matter how small. Luckily, this is the start to fixing the awkwardness of their relationship! Next chapter will be a fun fluffy one, but after that we get into the plot properly. And let me just say, I don't think you guys are ready for the... surprise that's in store :) 

Please vote and comment, it helps me a lot and I really appreciate it!!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Oopsies x