72 (Part One)

The morning of the festival dawns with the early whisperings of a warm day, streaks of hazy lilac and peach that float across the pale blue sky, the tip of a white sun casting a warm wash over the still trees, outlines carved in reddish shadows and illuminating light. 

My hands curl around my hot mug, cinnamon, clove and cardamon scented steam rising into the  air, soaking in the world at Quackity's kitchen table. The beauty of the still, untouched, unbothered world, before the humans rise and soak the ground in blood, and burn the green away, and rip it all apart, before the humans wake with their noisy anger, and their destructive sadness, and their frivolous happiness. 

I wish I could be out there, feel the gentle caress of winds on my cheeks, smell dewy grass and water-lilies in their mossy ponds, feel the sunlight warm my arms and the hear the rumblings of the forest as it emerges to the day. 

But I can't, because someone might see me, and I'd put Tubbo and Quackity in danger, and it'd all collapse anyway. 

I hear Quackity's footsteps before his voice. 

"You're up early."

I shrug, eyes still glued to the window outside. "Couldn't sleep."

"You okay? After yesterday?"

"I'll be fine." I twist my head to give him a half-hearted smile. "Don't worry about me."

The look on his face is practically screaming that he doesn't believe me, but neither of us push the subject. We've gotten good a lying to each other, me and Quackity, and forked tongues don't mend as quickly as our hearts. "Dream, Sapnap, Punz, Eret and George will be there today, that's what Schlatt wanted to talk about yesterday."

"Great." I respond blankly, taking a sip of my tea, shrugging my blanket a little tighter around my shoulders. 

"I'm in charge of greeting them and showing them around, so I can't be with you today." He pauses, and I let out a sigh.

"And so you don't want me to go, because it'll be too dangerous."

"Yeah." He runs his hands through his black hair, sticking up like a roosters comb on one side of his head. "I think that you not going is a good idea."

"I trust you also know I don't give a shit." I raise one eyebrow, looking at him over the back of my wooden chair. 

"Yeah I got that, just thought I'd try anyway."

The smile I give him is genuine this time. "I know you're just trying to look out for me, and I appreciate it, but I'm going."

Quackity shakes his head, laughing to himself. "Of course you are."

I let out a dry laugh along with him. "You'll be with them the whole time?"

"I think so, that's what Schlatt wants anyway, to be honest I was surprised to hear that George was coming." He sits down in the spot next to me. 

"Yeah me too." I agree, taking another gulp of tea. "I'm going to have to get a disguise or something because everyone is going to recognise me."

"Cover your face with a scarf or something, as long as you keep moving and stay away from Schlatt and us I'm sure you'll be fine." He shrugs. "Or you could just not go and not get caught."

I roll my eyes. "Nice try. I want to go for Tubbo, I've missed so much with all of them and he's really proud of this. He was telling me about it yesterday."

"He's worked really hard." Quackity nods. "Just be careful, okay? Don't go after Schlatt or anything, keep your head down."

"Fine." I set the ceramic mug down on the table with a hollow clink. "I don't want to get caught, but I swear, if I have an opportunity to kill him and get away, I'll do it."