22

I huff in annoyance, crossing my arms over my chest as I tune in and out of Tommy and Wilbur's conversation. They're discussing the upcoming election, in which Wilbur and Tommy are running as the sole candidates too officially solidify their rule. If they weren't my friends, and if I didn't love them dearly, I would probably be a bit more upset at the blatant undermining of democracy, but I let it slide. 

They're too busy writing about their new policies in a leather bound book, so I stare blankly out of the window. They wanted me to be included in the policy making process, since I missed out on so much after leaving, and then being held prisoner by Fundy, but honestly I'd much rather be out with Jack, Niki, Tubbo and Quackity.  I've gotten along with Quackity over the past couple of days. He comes to visit me at the lake, and I teach him different kinds of plants and herbs for medicine, laughing as he flounders around in an overly exaggerated accent and wide grin set on his bright face. 

I stare blankly out the window, my eyes settling on the small edge of the lake that peeks in from the side. The warm, early summer sun shines down upon the leafy forest, revitalised from spring. I'm snapped out of my day dreams by a slamming door, as Quackity materialises in the van. 

"Hey guys! I got your message Wilbur, what's up?" He says, returning my wave enthusiastically as Tommy greets him loudly. Wilbur motions for him to sit down opposite him and next to me. 

"So Quackity, Tommy and I are holding an election for the presidency of L'manburg. But, because we're the only people running, we're just gonna fucking win." He laughs, and Quackity nods slowly. "Honestly the election doesn't even matter, we're doing it to solidify our power." He finishes, leaning forward and whispering conspiratorially. He opens the thick leather book and shows Quackity their newly formed policies, the ones I was too bored to pay attention to. 

Quackity's dark eyes flick from side to side as he scans the page, face blank and unreadable. Wilbur and Tommy are smiling, eagerly watching him and waiting for his reaction, but I can't help but feel uneasy, and slightly nervous to see how he takes it. He reaches the end of the page, and slams the book shut, looking up at them.

"What do you think? Anything you don't like?" Wilbur asks intently.

Quackity stays silent for a moment, before erupting into protest. "Wilbur, you know what I don't like? I don't like any of it! I hate all of it!" 

"What the fuck?!" Tommy interrupts in confusion. 

Wilbur shakes his head in confusion. "We're not abolishing our policies." He says firmly, and Quackity laughs slightly, straightening up and looking them directly in the eye. 

"I will not be part of this democratic injustice! Wilbur Soot and Tommyinnit, you're both a threat to our democracy. A single party? A single party? Are you kidding me?! You know what? Fuck it. I'm going to run against you, I'm going to give the people an option they actually want to choose." He announces, and we all gasp in shock. 

"What? What do you mean?" Wilbur stutters, mouth dropping open. 

"Quackity? What the hell are you doing?" I interject, but they all ignore me, too busy looking a Quackity, who's seated smugly next to me. 

"You're not even apart of L'manburg!" Wilbur finally says, after the initial shock wears off. 

Quackity just scoffs. "I don't care." He snatches a quill from the desk and scribbles something into the book. We're all still processing what has just happened, too confused to stop him. "Look at your book and you'll see the new party contesting the election. Swag 2020 baby!" He finishes with a laugh. 

"You don't even have a running mate." Tommy says, staring at Quackity with disdain, but Quackity just rolls his eyes.

Wilbur's face creases in anger. "You know what Quackity? I'm kicking you out. Get the hell out of here." 

Quackity smiles in an infuriatingly antagonising way, and stands up, heading to the door. I leap up after him, hurriedly following him onto the grassy plains that surround the van. 

"What was that?" I yell, flying down the steps as the door swings shut behind me. Quackity doesn't respond, still marching determinedly.

"Hey! What the fuck were you thinking!" I shout angrily, and he stops on the spot, turning on his heel and storming towards me. I walk up to meet him. 

"What was I thinking? Aren't I allowed to want to have fair elections? Or should I just stand by as Tommy and Wilbur literally undermine the entire democracy?" He says fiercely, coming to stand face to face with me. 

"You should just stay out of L'manburg issues, we don't need any more shit right now, ok? I know you're new Quackity, and you're a good person, but there is a history that you do not understand, and this is not a place for you to get involved in." I defend firmly, refusing to budge as I stare right back up at him. 

He smiles painfully, and shakes his head. "I know you guys had a war Rosa, but just because I wasn't involved in that doesn't mean I can't get involved now."

"I'm not trying to tell you that you shouldn't be apart of L'manburg Quackity, I really like being friends with you, but we just got out of a war, we don't need any type of new conflict right now." I try and reason. 

"I really hoped you would support me Rosa, but I understand if you can't" He says, stepping backwards and sending me a look tinged with regret. I watch him the entire way, as he walks out of the entrance to L'manburg and out of sight. 

I rub my face tiredly, massaging my temples. I mean, can we get at least one minute of peace in this world? It feels like every other day is a new conflict, or a new villain, or a new issue. Maybe Niki and I should just move back in to our house. 

Oh wait, there's a crazy psychopathic kidnapper still on the loose that wants to put my life in immediate danger. Can't do that.

"Having some trouble princess?"

I almost have a heart attack, as Dream emerges from the shadows of the walls, mask eerily sinister in it's calm blankness, devoid of emotion. 

"What do you want Dream?" I huff exasperatedly. 

He laughs at that, coming to stand in front of me. I glance over him, dressed a short sleeve plain black shirt, and army green cargo pants. No armour, and no weapons, almost arrogant in his calm casualness.

"Aw don't look so excited to see me Rosie! I came here to talk to Wilbur about his election, but I guess things just got a little bit more interesting." He teases, and I glare at him in annoyance. 

"Oh I'm sure you're leaping at any opportunity to make L'manburg miserable." I say, turning to walk with him to the van.

He chuckles, broad shoulders shaking next to me. "Well...I can't deny that I'm not going to enjoy them ripping each other apart." 

I roll my eyes. "You were never anything but honest about L'manburg, I guess. Just try to remember that I live there too, and I actually do care about it a lot." We reach the van, and he climbs the stairs, wrenching open the door, then turning his head to face me over his shoulder. 

"Princess, that's the only reason why I didn't burn it to the ground." 

The only thing that rattles me is the hint of sinisterness that rings in the background of those words. 

------

A/N I actually wanted to do some more relationship building with Quackity and Rosie, but the plot must move on! We've had some plot heavy chapters, and there's some more to come, so I thought I'd had some fun little Dream and Rosie interaction to spice it up. Also, I literally had to get my fucking toenail removed so I'm still healing from that :) bruh can I please just have one normal day. Please. 

Anywho, next chapter we will touch base with all the characters about the upcoming election, and sweep up a few plot loose ends. Over the next couple of chapters we will start setting up for the election we all know and love, introduce a new character, and have some more Rosie and Dream Team interaction (angst or fluff? We'll find out...) 

Please remember to vote and comment!

I hope you enjoyed!

Oopsies x