95

The moment Dream relented to the idea of us moving into the ravine, I sprung into action. I couldn't let him sit with his thoughts and second guess himself into a spiral of insecurity and panic that always leads to the most psychotic outburst of desperation I've ever seen emit from a person. 

"I didn't even get to tell them that we're moving!" Dream huffs from behind me, as we make our way through the tangle of forest that rings both Dream's land and L'manburg's. 

"Trust me, they'll be happy about it." I reply dryly, moving forward. They won't be happy about him, let alone the fact that it's him and me and we're together, but it's this or leave me alone in a cabin in the mountains with him, and my family, despite their flaws, can be pragmatic when it comes to these things. 

The walk is long, first through the valley from our house, up steep hills and sharp drops that make my knees ache, then miles of vast woodland, thick with bushes and tree stumps that catch on my feet and ankles. 

"You know that me moving is going to raise Schlatt's suspicions." Dream comments behind me, and I knew the hours of walking in silence meant absolutely nothing good. 

"Schlatt can't do anything about it, he's not going to admit the ravine exists in the first place."

"He'll worm his way around it, you hurt his ego that badly he'll do to anything to undermine you."

"You can always just not come, that would solve most of the problems we have here."

He doesn't reply, snapping a tree branch a little zealously to move it out of his way. 

"Dream, when we get there- you know they aren't going to like it. They're not going to be happy about you being with me." I pause, waiting for him to say something, but he lets me continue. "You can't take it personally, okay? It has nothing to do with how I feel about you, so please don't let it escalate it."

Realistically, he should absolutely be taking it personally, because they really do just hate him. He's immensely dislikable and there's the whole issue with war and mortal enemies and kidnapping and torture, and strangely enough, unless you've been mind-fucked within an inch of your life like I have, that hatred does not simper out. 

"Rosie, they go around thinking that they know best for you and it's fucking bullshit."

His hypocrisy makes me roll my eyes so far backwards they almost fall out into the back of my head. "That's what happens with your family, they all put their opinions in because they love you and just want the best. They're protective and they don't think I should be with you because you hurt them, so just let it be."

"I won't start anything, but if they come up and say something-"

"Dream you have to just let it go, please, don't escalate situations and get into fights. You don't need to prove anything to them."

For all his strategic prowess, the art of appeasement and sucking it up for the greater good seems to have been lost on him. It's just arrogance, I think, the sheer confidence that he holds the power, holds everything he needs to win, that he doesn't debase himself with playing pretend. 

Not like I have, clinging onto for survival, not like I have, using it as a lifeline. It's why it's so easy to trick him, even when I'm flip flopping between rage and despondency and adoration like someone's flicking a switch wired into my brain. Any other person would see a person struggling to put up a facade, but Dream just sees me finally broken enough to mould. 

"Fine Rosie, but you need to talk to them too, and tell them that they need to accept us and get over it."

"I'll talk to them, don't worry." I say, as we move into a small clearing, that's instantly familiar.