Walking New Paths

Pantora: 11 BBY
Riyo's Home
Riyo Chuchi

Riyo stood just inside her apartment, watching the Survivor take off. Her meeting with General Ryn Alera had gone well. Still, she had yet to make her decision. It was clear the Rebellion needed her, but she didn't know if she could truly dedicate herself to it.

"How did it go?"

Riyo turned and spied Clay leaning against a wall close by. He smoothed some silver hair from his face and approached. "Better than I expected."

"Have you made your decision?"

She sighed. "I don't know. They need my help, like Bail said."

Clay waited for her to continue. When she didn't, he finished her thought. "But you don't want to risk being caught by Chairman Voor?"

Riyo nodded. "I know I could help the Rebellion. I want to. It was Padmé's goal originally." She paused, recalling the beautiful Naboo senator who had been her friend. Padmé had died years ago, leaving an aching wound in Riyo's heart that had never quite healed. Neither had a much larger wound.

Clay seemed to sense her shifting demeanor. He placed a gentle hand on her shoulder and smiled. "Don't worry about it now. You can make your decision tomorrow."

"I should go see to Corran," Riyo whispered. She slipped past him and made her to her son's bedroom. Corran was sitting on the floor playing with some of his toys when she arrived. He perked up at the sight of her.

"Can we play space battle?" He asked, offering her one of his model ships.

Riyo smiled and shook her head. "Not tonight. I'm tired. I will tomorrow though."

Corran pouted, then nodded. "All right. Is it bedtime?"

"It is." She held her arms out to him. Corran jumped up and ran to her. She lifted him off the ground and carried him over to his bed.

"Am I too big for you, Mom?" Corran whispered. He tightened his arms around her neck and snuggled closer to her.

Riyo kissed his cheek and set him on his bed. "No, not yet."

"Are you sad?"

She met his amber brown gaze and swallowed hard. After a moment, Riyo nodded. "I'm just missing some very special people."

"Like Dad?"

Riyo nodded again. "Today was the anniversary of his death."

"Oh, I forgot."

"It's all right." She smoothed his dark navy hair out his face.

Corran knit his brows thoughtfully. "Is Clay still here? I want him to tell me a story. He always has good ones."

"Yes, he's still here. Shall I send him in?" Corran nodded vigorously. "All right, but it can't be a long story. It's late enough as it is." Riyo kissed his forehead once more and stepped out of the room.

Clay was waiting just outside. "I heard," he said with a smirk. "It can't be a long story."

Riyo smiled and headed towards her own room. She sealed the door as soon as she was inside. She slid down the back of the door and pulled her knees up to her face. Riyo tried to make herself breath deeply, but all she could manage were short gasps. A few tears dripped down her cheeks.

It had been seven years since Fox died. The pain was usually a dull ache, but now, it rose as sharply as it had the day it had occurred. Riyo squeezed her eyes shut. She always tried to remind herself of how good things were now, especially when she found herself wondering what they could've been like.